Author Topic: Losin' oil from a 22R, evidence shows one source, logic says I'm wrong.  (Read 2243 times)

la bomba

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -47
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Greetings,

First off, I've got a 1983 Toy pickup.  All drivetrain, motor, etc. is stock (except an air filter, which I imagine doesn't apply to this situation).

Short version:  If I'm leaking oil out of my rear main seal, would there be evidence (as in oil) all over the outside of the seal and the retainer?  If it's clean, would that eliminate the possability of a leak?

Long version: I bought my truck almost a year ago knowing it had a bad rear main seal.  About three months ago my father and I dropped the tranny, clutch, flywheel, etc. and replaced the rear main seal.  We put everything back together and were happy.  About a month after I started to notice my oil level slowly falling, but no sign of a leak.  I asked for help on-line and was told that my crankshaft probably needed a repair sleeve.  I waited another month (up to a month ago) and started to notice that oh too familiar drip at the bottom of my bellhousing.  Well, I was hoping this was actually oil residue coming off the bellhousing.  (When we initially dropped the tranny we realized the PO had let this thing leak like crazy for a loooooong time and the interior of the bellhousing was just coated in motor oil).

Well, a week and a half ago I went wheelin' on a run.  Topped off the oil on Thursday, left Friday (no driving in between).  I came back Sunday and just left the truck in the driveway (my alternator wasn't charging and I was too disgusted to fool with it at the time) and unloaded the next day.

The next day, I noticed a small puddle under my truck.  Bellhousing's leaking almost as bad as it ever did.  I checked the oil level and I lost more than a quart.

So, yesterday and today the tranny was dropped again, removed everything, and got to the rear main seal with the intent and hope that the problem was the lack of a repair sleeve.  Well, the seal and retainer were as clean as a whistle.  I can't understand what happened.  I'm losing motor oil, and there's oil at the bottom of the bellhousing.  But there's no evidence of it getting past the seal.  I'm totally lost.

Another thing that was noticed was the input shaft on the tranny had some slight give in it.  Granted with it on the truck the pilot bearing would prevent budging, but notice was taken.

Tranny level seemed fine.

The leaking oil didn't have a smell that I could detect, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

I'm lost.  I'm loosing motor oil, and there's oil at the bellhousing, but I can't see any oil around the seal, indicating a leak.  My tranny output shaft is also budging, but the tranny level seems fine.  I see no evidence like a "stream" of oil coming from the tranny.

I just don't know what to do or where the problem is.  Any help/advice would be appreciated.  The idea's floating around of just going down to MC and asking Marlin himself.

FYI this is a link to a picture of the previous oil seal, which lead one person to suggest that the old seal had damaged the crankshaft......

If it helps any.... I'm running 10w30 Mobil1 synthetic.  At speeds the pressure's fine, but at a stop the pressure does seem a little low.

zeke jr.

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 154
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • turn key buggys
jus replace the rear main. jus did mine today than i noticed oil on my pan so i replaced that and my valve cover gasket no more leak. see if that helps it was only $28 for all the seals not too bad if ya ask me.
always remember a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

"I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."

"The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations."

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
No expert, but just because it's dripping off the bellhousing, does not mean it's leaking from the rear main.

Heck, if the motor is leaking anywhere, when you drive, it'll collect on the bellhousing.

If the entire motor is covered in oil it's hard to spot a leak.  Go down and power wash your motor, then look over the motor frequently and see if you can spot where the oil is starting from.

Areas that have leaked on my motor where oil can/will collect and drip from the bellhousing were Oil Pan, (oil pan bolts loosen up an weeped oil out.), valve cover (specifically @ the rear of the motor), timing chain cover.

Good luck.  I was a happy camper when my 22r finally became a non oil leaking SOB.

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I'd check your vlave cover :thumbs:  I know my valve cover is leaking in my 3.0, but anytime I look under the truck, I think it might be the rear main, even though I know its not.  The oil runs down the side of the bellhousing, and drips off the bottom.  :thumbs:

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

la bomba [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -47
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks guys.  My rig's been parked for over a week.... had to replace a tranny output seal and got slow/lazy, so anything that might have been there is soaked into the layer of gunk covering my motor.  But, I'm goin' wheelin' this weekend (BBBS for anyone near Fresno) and will be checkin' that valve cover constantly for any signs of leakage.

Much appreciated!

]{illrock86

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 3
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
it's real typical for the "half moon" seal at the back of the head to leak onto the bell housing. on older motor with more crank case pressure (blow by) the seals can sometimes be blown out completely causing a big mess. just tryin' to help..