Author Topic: ARB air question  (Read 1830 times)

h0nke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since May '05
  • need $$$$ for parts
    • View Profile
    • Firth4X4
    • Buy me a beer
ARB air question
« on: Mar 01, 2006, 07:52:21 AM »
Im thinking of going with ARB's front and rear, or at least rear, but if I am going to spend the extra bank I want to have some sort of a 3-7gal tank in the system so I can fill tires and maybe run tools.

I've looked at lots of tanks and compressors on ebay but I wanted to know what you guys are using. What tank size, what compressor model, etc.

What PSI do ARB's need? Cuz for my tires/tools I want my air regualted to 90PSI. I guess I could run one port for tires/tools with a regualtor and one for ARB regualted to whatever PSI they need.

Thanks.
1980 SR5 shortbed pickup (Project Rust Bucket)

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
Re: ARB air question
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2006, 09:27:43 AM »
not really what you asking but if your gonna only run one arb put it in the front. because locked front ends are not always very fun to steer

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2006, 11:14:00 AM »
I have been thinking about this exact same setup and pretty much have the same questions.  So bring on the info those who have it :thumbs:
I like to Drive!

RockSlayer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 176
  • Male Posts: 101
  • Member since Jan '06
  • A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
    • View Profile
    • Cal4wheelers
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2006, 12:32:09 PM »
A good way to go, ( and cheap!) is to get a tank from an 18 wheeler. You can even get them with mounting brackets. They come in all shapes and sizes. Peterbuilt and Kenworths sometimes have aluminum tanks which are nice. I managed a truck wrecking yard in Fresno, and we sold tanks for $75 with the brackets. They usually have at least 4 bungs with standard pipe threads.
You can get the synflex hose that they use for trucks pretty cheap, and the fittings are easy  to assemble.
I have a York 210 A/C compressor. You can get a used one at a wrecking yard for under $75. I got the everything to maintain the tank pressure, (pressure switch that turns the clutch on and off, unloading the compressor output line when it turns the a/c clutch off) at Grainger. ( I love that place)

I think the ARB will operate with 85 to 120 PSI. So you have a range to work with. I know they take very little air to operate. I have a friend up in Washington that has a small tank that can't be bigger than a quart to run his ARB off of.

I hope that helps!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2006, 01:39:13 PM »
Well if you are really set on going with ARB :yuk: RockSlayer's would be the way to go, I am not a fan of ARB just more things that won't work when you really need them.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Willy Mammoth

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2006, 04:05:16 PM »
Only once have I had any problems with any of my ARB's. That was the side sealing ring had come loose causing the oring to pop out, but it still worked. I found the clip holding it in needed to be bent a little to keep it in place.

I like the fact that I can run completely open without having any sideways pushing from a stop or clicking or banging. Then at the flip of a switch they are completely locked.

The ARB pump cuts off around 90 psi and works fine for two lockers. If you want more air I would go with a 12 volt pump and a bigger air tank or a CO2 tank.

In a pinch you could use the C02 with a regulator to control the lockers.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2006, 04:13:16 PM »
Well if you are really set on going with ARB :yuk: RockSlayer's would be the way to go, I am not a fan of ARB just more things that won't work when you really need them.
I never realized you were such an optimist RS.  :rofl2:

the semi tank sounds like a good idea though.  would have never thought of it myself!
I like to Drive!

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2006, 05:38:54 PM »
ARB's are great, but alot of money.
Never known anyone to have problems with them.

The Semi tanks are a good Idea if they come small enough.  Some people make there Rock sliders there air tank, but that could end up being more trouble than it is worth.  Maybe look at harbor freight for a cheap air compressor and then remove the motor and make your tank out of that :dunno: 

gturismo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 327
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2006, 07:11:32 PM »
I like the fact that I can run completely open without having any sideways pushing from a stop or clicking or banging. Then at the flip of a switch they are completely locked.

I love my ARBs for the same reason.  I have them front and rear.  No loss of street drivability whatsoever.  I have not had one single problem at all with them so far.  ARB recommends 85-105psi.  I just used the whole ARB set-up so my compressor is dedicated to the lockers.

I know ARBs are pricey, so its a tough choice to make, but I'm glad I went with them :)

I went with a Powertank for my other air needs.  There were three things I considered for this.  1. Dependability  2. Portability  3.  My A/C still works and I wasn't ready to give it up just yet :)

Again, Powertanks are pricey, but I love it and am glad I bought it.

I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other.  Just things to consider :twocents:

85 Runner

h0nke [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since May '05
  • need $$$$ for parts
    • View Profile
    • Firth4X4
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2006, 06:43:24 AM »
Thanks guys for the info.

I work at a big rig junk yard so I'll grab a tank there.

There are also a lot of Rockwell 2 1/2 ton axles taunting me.
1980 SR5 shortbed pickup (Project Rust Bucket)