Author Topic: Fuel Delivery Issues  (Read 1395 times)

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Fuel Delivery Issues
« on: Feb 14, 2006, 05:11:33 PM »
I see there are a lot of threads regarding fuel delivery issues.  i have a few problems myself and cannot find the answer through a search.  i thought maybe we could start one post here and have all the questions and answers in one, lets see if it works.

Here is my issue, I have a 91 22re, the truck was submerged under water on the passenger side, the water line was about 8" below the window.  When I got the truck I of course pulled the plugs, turned the motor to release water, changed oil, and filter, plugs, wires, coil, air filter...etc...  The truck would not run, would not even turn over.  So i replaced the computer, bam I got power, every thing worked, I used some starting fluid and got the truck to start. 
The truck would not hold and idle, and when i gave it gas it would sputter and backfire through the intake.  I made sure there was no gas in the exhaust, and drained the gas tank.  I filled the truck up with some 92 octane and some fuel injection additive to try and clean it out a bit, but it did nothing.  So i opted to replace the fuel filter, when i did that it helped a little, the truck will idle when cold or warm, it revs a Little bit more, but i cant give it any more than maybe 1/4 throttle, and then it backfires through the intake and bogs out.  If I give it gas very slowly it will build rpms up, all the way to the rev limiter.  every now and then it will not start, full power, motor turns i get spark but it just wont start, you can smell fuel but it wont start.

Here is the question:  I turned the key on, one time it would not start to see if i could here the fuel pump.  I turned three times, the 1st, and 2nd, time i heard nothing, the 3rd i heard the fuel pump turn on so i cranked it over, it fired right up and ran as usual (crappy).  So i shut it off to see if it would kick back on when I turned the key on, I did not hear it now, i tried  8-10 times turning the key on, but not starting it to see if i could here the fuel pump turn on.  Nothing all 8-10 times, Finley i heard some thing but it was weird it was the click noise under the dash, but no fuel pump, so I tried again, nothing at all, another time and i get the clicking noise and the fuel pump, but after like 2 sec. the fuel pump shuts off and then it wont turn back on for several more tries.  Then the clicking under the dash comes back, but not like normal, instead of it being one click, and the fuel pump kicking in, it clicks several times like it is loosing connection somee where. :dunno:     

Could this be the fuel pump going out, or a bad connection some where.  If it is a bad connection what is at and where is it?  If it is the fuel pump, could I replace it with an in-line fuel pump that excludes the use of the stock fuel pump?

toymech

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -155
  • Male Posts: 158
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Delivery Issues
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2006, 05:06:40 PM »
did your airbox catch any water? Without a doubt you fried the first computer,id check the resistance of the injectors and your afm,just check if theyre ok being the computer took such a beating with water. Mike :turtle:
87 Runner-rebuilt 22re,3 inch downey ifs lift,allpro rear bumper,Detroit locked rear with 4.88s,detroit true trac front diff,Marlin crawler clutch,R151F trans,Marlin Crawler 4.7 reduction gearset,33 inch Goodyear MTRs

AKDuramax

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Jan '06
  • hondas R like tampons... every pu$$y has one
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Delivery Issues
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2006, 10:36:55 PM »
yes you can install an inline fuel pump and you can just pull right threw the stock with out a problem. you can hook the fuel pump up to a switch or an accesory that comes on when the key is in the on position. but check you injectors before you just go and get a new fuel pump.
83' toyota sr5 long bed 31x10.5 bfg mt's -under construction-
86' suzzuki samuri 33x14.5 boggers, 1.6 tracker spap, 4.62's locked trackuri axles, 4.1 transfer, exct.
02' chevy 2500HD duramax 35x12.5 mt's fabtec 6", edge box,k&n intake, mbrp 4" duals, exct.  :)