Author Topic: one more 85 yota build up  (Read 2585 times)

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
one more 85 yota build up
« on: Dec 18, 2005, 12:43:56 AM »
Back in april i picked up a 85 22r std cab pick up.  I had to wait all summer to sell my jeep, and start my build up.

The truck was ran, by the the PO, with out an oil cap for what he said was only one oil change, however from the amoount of oil all over every thing, i really think it was more like 10 changes.  Long story short the engine is seized.  I have since purchesed another blown engine that has eveything that I need for 22re. I hvae both engines in my garage, I just have to decied which one is gunna be rebuilt.  I thnk it is going to be the 22re because it only had one rod bearing go out, and the other engine has much more wrong with it.  Both engines only had 130k on them, I would suspect that the 22re didn't get its oil changed enough.  anyway, on to the the good stuff

Rebuilding the engine.  I have deceid to try and make the 22re the hottest little 4 banger that i can.  I plan to run a LC engineering stage II cam, along with the 48mm intake, and the larger exsust valves.  Along with the EFI I am hoping for a stronger 22re.  anyone have any ideas about what kinda power I will get out of this set up?

Next comes the wiring.  I have everything from the doner truck, the entire harness including the light bulbs.  I am thinking that it would be easier to just replace the two harnesses rather than splice the two togather to make one.  I have the dash already out, and the fenders are almost off, so it should be a snap.  I hope.

I will try and post pics tomorrow, depends on if it gets warmer than 20*

PZ
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2005, 03:43:08 PM by Phazertwo »
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: one more 85 yota build up
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2005, 03:15:43 PM »
dont soup up the 22re, its going to cost too much and wont be as reliable as a standard rebuild..... but hey, its your $ so do whatever... what are you using the truck for? if power is a concern, then do a sbc or ford v8 into it.... with all the modifications possible to the 22re, you arent going t osee major performance out of it without going bottle fed or forced induction

i hope you plan on actually rebuilding the engine... not jsut replacing the 1 spun bearing on the crank, the crank will need to come out and be miced and such....

if you can jsut swap the wiring harness, do it... oterhwise you will need to splice everything together..... also you have the ecu for the efi truck right?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Phazertwo [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2005, 03:40:03 PM »
I don't want to do a SBC because of the cost, and i am not a huge fan of ford.  If i did an engine swap, i would plan on a 7MG.  However the cost of this is still 2k, so I am not planning on it.  I am only trying to get a little more power out of the 22re, and longevity of the eninge is not a primary concern.  It would probley take me 10 years to put 50k on it since its not my DD, however it will be driven from Denver to moab anually, and other wheeling trips.  IF it does blow before 50k I will hopfully have the time and money to do a 7MG swap :biggthumpup:

Yes the crank and head will be going to the machine shop to get fixed.  I also have everything from the other truck, including the ECU.

Todays high was 20*, so i didn't get much done! Pics will have to come latter.
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2005, 03:44:17 PM by Phazertwo »

Phazertwo [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2005, 12:14:42 PM »
finaly had some good weather!  Got a little more done on the truck, and some pics

THis truck has been fighting me every inch of the way.  Evey connector, and evey bolt i have had problems it seems.  The engine should hed off to the machine shop next week, assuming that I get all of the parts that I need.

PZ

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2005, 02:18:05 PM »
Truck has spirit...she's a fiesty one!   :shocking:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Phazertwo [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2005, 04:44:31 PM »
yeah, no kidding, all of my kunckels were bleeding when i called it quites today, and only worked on wiring!   ::)

Here is an update, for somreason you guys can't see pics that I host form this site  ???

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=52147

Phazertwo [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2005, 04:51:53 PM »
There is a little green box next to the in cab fuse pannel, and it says 22RE speed contoler or somthing like that?  sounds kinda like cruise control to me :confused:   There is also anoter wire in the harness labled cruise.  I don't want cruise control, so could I maybe just unplug it and not worry about mounting it anywhere?
PZ