Author Topic: What's this worth?  (Read 3707 times)

JonnyM

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -12
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
What's this worth?
« on: Dec 22, 2005, 09:55:57 PM »
'96 Taco SR5
Ford/Dana 44 front on Rancho springs
63" Rear Chevy's
Lift shackles
Marlin 4.7 reducer/doubler
Marlin twin sticks on orig chain drive t-case
37" TSL Radials--need replaced
IFS steering box with HD steering components-high steer
Fairly straight body 80-90%
Been wheeled (hard I think) but everything appears to have been done right and all broken stuff repaired correctly.

TIA

J
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2006, 09:36:14 PM by JonnyM »

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
Re: What's this worth?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2005, 10:18:37 PM »
Have any :snapshot: of it? It sounds like a sweat truck is there a price on it already, does it have a toy rear axle? Does it have any lockers? Without seeing it I'm going to say around $8,000 maybe more if its done up real nice and propper.
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

JonnyM [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2005, 10:36:32 PM »
No pics.  It's a looker though.  Stock rear axle 4.88 f/r.  Locked front ands rear...I have reason to believe the rear locker might not be functioning...(edited to add that rear locker is fully functioning)

Truck leans to the left maybe an inch or so...and pulls a bit to the left when driving...there is a fair amount of bumpsteer or feedback through the wheel when driving.

I believe that all the mods have been done correctly and the rig is sound...I also believe it has been wheeled harder then the owner is owning up to.

Thanks for your input.

J
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2005, 09:43:48 PM by JonnyM »

copeland

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -28
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2005, 10:51:36 PM »
The lean is probably saggy springs? I've seen runners with saggy asses from coils. And FWIW I was just looking at a stock runner that had a slight lean to it in the stock suspension.
Pulling to the left may be from alignment issues? best bet is to take it to a shop for an inspection...the 50 bucks or whatever will be a sound investment on a rig...

rebel racer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 66
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2005, 11:27:41 PM »
if it is in Spokane i can take a look at it for you give you my opinion
85 x-cab -16" 36"iroks, spooled f&r, 5.29's, three shifters,oba and some other crap

Life . . . should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a attractive and well preserved body --- but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, beer in the other in the other,body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming, "WOW - What a ride!"

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2005, 01:06:10 AM »
Leaning to the left ain't good. It's just springs but...I would say 7,000-9-000 if its pretty clean and good.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

JonnyM [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2005, 09:20:54 PM »
Here is a not so recent picture.  The body isn't as pristine and it's currently riding 37" SSRs in need of replacement.  The owner, seems like a real stand up guy, told me the only mechanical issues it has is a "noise" from the steering box when turning tight on pavement and the sagging front spring.  There are a few minor electrical gremlins...no cruise, power window switch broken, no horn...airbags disconnected...for obvious reasons.

Trying to come up with some coin and make him an offer that's fair to both of us...there's alot of custom stuff on this truck...which can  be both good and bad...

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

J

« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2006, 08:30:48 PM by JonnyM »

lilbuddy

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
Re: What's this worth? Pic added
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2005, 09:23:51 PM »
Looks like its pretty good....

Also if you think about it, the springs are probably really soft (im guessing) and its leaning to the left because the gas tank is on that side? I know when I have a full tank of gas on my truck it leans to the left about an inch.  Even with about a half tank it still somewhat leans.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2005, 09:51:42 PM »
is that a d44 axle? hopefully nothing less.... its got a chrome diff cover, come on now, thats just not only performance bad, but tacky as well.... chrome dissipates heat like an iron skillit

seems liek a hell of a lot of work needs to be doen to it though... realize it may nickel and dime you to death.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

JonnyM [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2005, 09:58:31 PM »
is that a d44 axle? hopefully nothing less.... its got a chrome diff cover, come on now, thats just not only performance bad, but tacky as well.... chrome dissipates heat like an iron skillit

seems liek a hell of a lot of work needs to be doen to it though... realize it may nickel and dime you to death.....

Dana 44 from a '79 Ford F250.  Chrome cover is gone and has a serious looking diff guard in place.  I'm worried about the nickel/dime factor, remember I come from wheeling Jeeps, please elaborate your thoughts and opinions. 

Thanks!

J

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2005, 10:50:17 PM »
you said it has electrical gremlins... those are notorius for never getting fixed..... and it might nickel and dime you.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

JonnyM [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2005, 02:18:34 PM »

Please elaborate.

J

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2005, 02:49:56 PM »
No pics. It's a looker though. Stock rear axle 4.88 f/r. Lock right in the front and a Trac lock in the rear...I have reason to believe the rear locker might not be functioning...

Truck leans to the left maybe an inch or so...and pulls a bit to the left when driving...there is a fair amount of bumpsteer or feedback through the wheel when driving.

I believe that all the mods have been done correctly and the rig is sound...I also believe it has been wheeled harder then the owner is owning up to.

Thanks for your input.

J

the traclock doesn't work when it works Why do you think is is broken? Remember is is a clutch style LSD. also I have broken 3 of Crack Locs in a 2.5 liter YJ with a 44 in the rear. the last one broke in a parking lot while truning in a tight circle to scare my kids. then it scared me. rattle rattle rattle bang.

Nice truck though you can replace the diff I would give 8k or so.

Wayne

JonnyM [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2005, 04:13:42 PM »
Thanks for the input Wayne.

I should have corrected my posting...he later said it was Lock-rite type locker...I didn't catch the name...I'll clarify this Friday.

The reason I suspect it not to be working is that when I drove it I pulled two tires off the pavement into a shallow snow filled ditch and then couldn't drive out of the ditch (right side rear spinning, left rear on roadway.)
Wasn't making any weird noises or vibrations I could detect.

Friday I'm going to take it for a longer test drive and possibly make an offer.

Thanks.

J

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2005, 06:56:54 PM »
Looks like its pretty good....

Also if you think about it, the springs are probably really soft (im guessing) and its leaning to the left because the gas tank is on that side? I know when I have a full tank of gas on my truck it leans to the left about an inch.  Even with about a half tank it still somewhat leans.
[/quote

bingo!!  :psss: except my truck leans to the right :yupyup:

I say it looks to be in good shape.  Doesn't sound too bad, kinda strange that you didn't hear anything from that rear locker though :dunno: 
As for the electrical gremlins, is it something he did on purpose? out of laziness or sacrifice for something else?  or did they just stop working one right after another?  Of course, anyhting might have happened, his cruise control may have been jostled under the hood or something like that.  The window switch would be a PITA to not have, but I've never seen a toy with good power windows that last any length of time.

I'd say 8K or so
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

JonnyM [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2005, 08:18:40 PM »
Thanks Blackdog,

He told me there were some concerns about the airbag with the IFS swap and the addition of an ARB bumper(not in pic) hence the cruise, horn, and airbag.  The window switch just it is physically broken...said he dropped sonething on it or dropped the panel when he had it off to dynomat the door.

J