Author Topic: efi swap  (Read 1772 times)

camoyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 188
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Working to Play
    • View Profile
efi swap
« on: Nov 21, 2005, 10:12:36 AM »
i wont to but a 22re out of a total  runner into my 82 pickup that is carb how difficult is this and what do i have to change for dash wiring

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
Re: efi swap
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2005, 02:18:47 PM »
I'm sure this has been covered before, but here it goes anyways. Yes you will need to use the wiring harnesses and CPU from the 22re when you swap motors. If the 22re is an SR5 then you will need the wiring for the instument cluster as-well.

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2005, 12:24:17 PM »
I think if you look on All Pro's web page there is still a write up on Chris Geiger's(sp?) 22RE swap into a carbed truck plus a search should turn up more than you ever wished for!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2005, 06:40:17 PM »
This is a pretty good write up http://www.off-road.com/toyota/doa22re.html I would swear that some company back east had a conversion kit available (I just searched and didn't find it though).
Do you have a donor truck in mind? Keep in mind you'll also need an EFI fuel tank (I don't know if the pump itself will swap into an carb tank). The parts you need can be found on www.car-part.com or (from personal experience I know these guys are good) www.flagauto.com . You'd have to check into any other fuses, etc. that might be need as well.
This may seem like a shameless plug, but, I have the EFI stuff out of an 88 4Runner. I (think) have the upper and lower manifold, throttle body, injectors, computer and a brand-spanking-new factory EFI harness (man, was that PITA to get) off of my other truck.
Mark

EDIT...The tranny is different on carb trucks. You should check out the info Marlin has in the tech section for more details.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2005, 06:57:45 PM by abnormaltoy »
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:50:39 PM »
i fail to see why you'd need any dash cluster wiring for a 22R-E swap.  a good clean swap means that you'd cut all the junk out that doesn't pertain to the engine running and functioning as normal, rather than doing some hillbilly splice job and trying to swap a complete vehicle harness in.

speedemon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 13
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Nov '05
  • When's winter?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2005, 10:14:54 PM »
I just swapped a 22re out of an '88 pickup into my '84 pickup. I pulled the entire wiring harnass out of the '88, ECU, fuel tank and instrument cluster. The efi fuel pump will not mount in a 22r fuel tank. I also pulled the steering column only because some of the plugs didn't match up from the harnass. Just to be safe I also took everything that was connected to the harnass (relays, fuse box, etc.) and swapped it in, because I did know the condition of the truck. I drove the donor from Philly to Texas, so I know it works. I'm not a fan of cutting wires and I don't see how you can say swapping a complete harnass would be a "hillbilly" splice job. It seems to me that cutting wires would be the hillbilly thing to do. For a trail rig that may be fine, but I would also like to drive the rig to the trail also. Just my opinion.
2002 Tacoma sold
'84 pickup SOLD!!
'83 pickup will rise again
'86 sas runner DD
'89 runner project (for sale)
F-Toy build in progress