Author Topic: Center Support Bearing  (Read 3424 times)

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Jul '05
  • squirrel powered by hampsterous oxide!
    • View Profile
Center Support Bearing
« on: Oct 02, 2005, 06:41:57 PM »
well its that time again for my truck to replace the center support bearing. ive been looking around and seems like everyone wants and arm, a leg, your right nut, and your soul for it. so id like to ask to see if anyone here has seen a ood deal or know of a place online or somewhere i can get a reasonable deal on one of these things. i really dont wanna go with a 1 peice driveshaft due to ground clearance. by the way, this is on a x-cab toy with the 2 peice drive shaft. thanks

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Re: Center Support Bearing
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2005, 06:46:23 PM »
those are good things to throw away!! trust me, and you do want to go with a one peice shaft, you just dont know it yet, and as for ground clearancem which is a legitimate concern, if you use a cv on peice shaft, your only giving up about an inch, ive done the math, and i have done the swap 37 times now, and will never look back

SQUIRREL MONSTER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2005, 07:20:37 PM »
even with as long of a reach as i have wich i think is around 55 inches long? :shudder:  i am running 35 inch tires also.... as it is i think i already rubbed the driveshaft once on a slope, wich is a 1 time thing i guess but it takes 1 time to fubar the shaft.

whats your suggestion as far as what shaft to use? will either of the two shafts work to lengthen out? :dunno:  should i go look out for a diffrent shaft?

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2005, 07:34:17 PM »
55"?  Pfft mine is 58" with a cv in it and I have touched it a couple times without damage.  Its .188 DOM tubing so Im not too woried about it.  And it was only $140 how much are you paying for a center bearing?  ;)
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2005, 07:58:39 PM »
another vote for a single piece shaft.  you won't regret it.

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

SQUIRREL MONSTER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2005, 08:05:31 PM »
140!?!?!?  :thud: wow! thats a heck of alot cheaper price then what i was quoted by san diego driveline! i was quoted in the range of $300-$400 bucks :bumpinbutts: where did you get yours done WT? i know id like to have a solid peice D/S but i was always concerned about the clearance. would i need a cv joint if i already got the rear end shimmed at 6* degrees?

damn..... 140 bux! im still trippin'! :headscratch:

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2005, 10:10:29 PM »
I had mine dont by a local farm/machine shop.  They know their chit thats for sure.  I was quoted by six states about the same as you.  Then I went to the local shop, Ill never go anywhere else for a shaft again. :greengrin:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2005, 10:20:29 PM »
even with as long of a reach as i have wich i think is around 55 inches long? :shudder:  i am running 35 inch tires also.... as it is i think i already rubbed the driveshaft once on a slope, wich is a 1 time thing i guess but it takes 1 time to fubar the shaft.

whats your suggestion as far as what shaft to use? will either of the two shafts work to lengthen out? :dunno:  should i go look out for a diffrent shaft?

i use 1/4 wall dom tubing, bash the hell out of it, rest on it, slam it into stuff, all it does is scratch, never even worry bout it, i paid 175 for my new shaft with new u joints

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2005, 02:35:59 AM »
Sounds like somebody needs to hook up their sources of cheap d-shafts :yesnod: I'd like to know too cause the center bearing POS is gunna get tossed in the garbage whenever I go duals
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

SQUIRREL MONSTER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2005, 04:58:58 AM »
Sounds like somebody needs to hook up their sources of cheap d-shafts :yesnod: I'd like to know too cause the center bearing POS is gunna get tossed in the garbage whenever I go duals

bro you aint kidding. i need to know wher to get this d-shaft done for under a rape load. id be more then happy spending 140 on a new d-shaft. the center support bearing is craped out now and wont lemme roll from a start without bouncing around the damn shaft around like hell. im in San Diego so im not sure of any other shops around here other then San Diego Driveline wich quoted me that insane amount or Fleet Driveline wich guys didnt make me happy last time i took my driveline needs to em.

so if ya'll got a good place to get these done.... please, do tell! im sitting at a point here where im actually gonna go out and get the damn bearing just to get me through, but id rather have the 1 peice now.

SQUIRREL MONSTER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2005, 05:02:07 AM »
soooooo.... can anyone give me a direction in wich to go twards??  :dunno: still in need of a d-shaft. how about high angle driveline? how are they on the wallet? are they reasonable or will my wallet be

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2005, 08:05:10 AM »
if you feel like drivin to auburn, you can get a sweet hook up there prob less than 200 start to finish for a whole new shaft, if not keep looking, just tell em what you want and tell em to use as much of your existing parts, probably only the flanges, as they can to keep cost down...later

SQUIRREL MONSTER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 04, 2005, 08:04:55 PM »
where along is auburn?? im in the very southern part of cali in san diego. if it means getting a hell of a deal, im willing to drive a distance. unless someone knows where i can order one from online and have it shipped for the same or cheaper??

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2005, 08:27:30 PM »
call information and ask for ernies driveline in auburn, ca- youll need to give him exact mesurments, and auburn is near sac, so it will have to be an all new shaft, which will still be way less than a carrier bearing, another thing you could do is get the length you need and post a want add here, i know that shiftless 89 is sellin a few shafts, as well as toybuilt, contact them, hope this helps.

SQUIRREL MONSTER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 04, 2005, 11:00:26 PM »
thanks. i really appreciate your help and te rest of the guys as well. ill see what i come up with.