Author Topic: Inverted Carb  (Read 1887 times)

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
Inverted Carb
« on: Sep 19, 2005, 09:20:12 PM »
okay so i flipped my carb over... and now my truck doesn't run. any ideas?
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

seanc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -357
  • Male Posts: 347
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Wheeler For Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Inverted Carb
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2005, 09:34:44 PM »
what?  ???
You win some, you lose some.

RustyToy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2005, 09:45:03 PM »
i guess they get all wacked out if you flip them over...
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2005, 09:52:51 PM »
Do you mean you actually mounted it upside down, or did you roll your truck on its top, and then after getting it rubber side down, now it won't run?
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

RustyToy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2005, 10:20:46 PM »
Mounting it upside down would take some talent... i just left it upside down on accident for the two days i was puting in my motor... oops.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2005, 10:38:20 PM »
pull it apart and check the needle/seat.  chances are there is  dirt/crud in there now.  You shouldn't EVER turn a carb over unless you plan on building it; it'll never run the same.

RustyToy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2005, 11:09:21 PM »
It was the orginal carb and it ran great... what a loss... I'm goin to try and rebuild it.

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2005, 04:04:59 AM »
just pop the top off the carb and check the jets and floats..sometimes if there is gunk in the carn being up side down send s it into the jets,,or the float may just be stuck...if it won't run at all just tap it with a hammer,,not too hard,,that may free the float..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

Greg_Canada

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 56
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2005, 07:26:56 AM »
Use some carb cleaner too to get the gunk out of there. (and a plastic brush too if it's bad)

Toy4therock

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2005, 08:16:05 AM »
 :dunno: Well Im not going to tell you anything you havent already tryed.Plus Im not really familur with the 22R carburated and if I was Id be running the weber without question!Not that its any fool proof cure all.But when its also right side up its a carb which cant be beaten.I like holleys on V8s but and even those if to run like three duces webers baby! And anything lesser without four barrels webers.Ive been around afew years and any FAST VW for one all ran webers as well so many other four and eight cylinders its not even funny, unless of course your in the weber vehicle.And if gas wasnt what its become! Id have to build up a radical 22R with the offenhouser sidedraft manifold and those awesome  dual webers.As Ive read that setup is a real terror!However Ive also read and seen pics of a guy who seriously wheels with this setup but I cant say that would be my choice for that all street and fast prerunner type.But the weber D-gas Id use.Now as far as your problem? Obviously youd looked at and tryed setting the float reguardless of what it may appear to look like.And the entire needle seat and all that stuff.Then Id tear it completely down and look at every part with a magnifier literly unless your eyes are far from what mine are not.As most likely something ether fell and lodged where it need not be or was injured in some way.And if the boggyman is still after you! As he LOVES MY REAREND! HIM and OL MURPHY!I swear you and I would get along all to damned well.As God I thought I was the only one with such bonner luck?As I to am fighting with oil pressure problems in NONE.And as Id figured this evil thing would continue its rath of vengence upon my mechanical soul.I really dont think it matters how much you think you know.As it always grows some bigger problems for you to jump in higher hurdles!As I am kept sooo humbled! :headscratch:

Toy4therock

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
 :headscratch: Im courious as to why no fun? As a welder myself Im thinking its due to the type of rig your using and seeing as floor boards arent real thick you having burn through problems.Which any desent mig welder with a co2 and argon mix will really help take care of that problem or so Im told.As Id used one or the other with argon just for aluminum.My millermatic 135 with just co2 works super on all steels from paper thin up past what miller even recomends as long as you pre bevel grind the edges first then use the D or smiley face style weld motion in which you will drag your puddle back and forth and bringing it slightlty upwards at both ends.However on thinner steel sheeting as your using.One good trick is overlap them some like about a good 1/8" Then keep your weld to the overlaped side and your setttings just heavy enough to barley puddel.OR a more time consuming way but does work.Is set it alittle on the cold side and simply pre weld the entire area and then heat up your settings and run back over it!As YES if your fighting alot of burn through trying to weave fill all your holes is a real time consuming and agrevating pregnant dog! Hope this does help let me know! Goodluck! :crossed:

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2005, 08:43:23 AM »
Huh? :dunno:
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

RustyToy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
the thing that hurt the most wasjust that the floor boards rusted out at all... i know.. no big deal i just welded in new ones... was really easy, i'm no welder by trade but i get board and stick metal together for fun. no oil pressure shure is a problem. i just had that problem myself. i put a thicker oil in and it raised up back to narmal. the toyota oil pumps are hard to munk up, and the pick up tubes work better if they are pointed to the  back of the motor. i have since replaced my motor as of this weekend, my problem with the carb, cause i fliped it over the fender like dumb a$$. i guess its time to throw on the webber i have and rebuild the toyota carb... i drive 100 miles a day in my 82 4x4 and the weber doesn't do it for me for that kinda comute, i've put it on for muddin and fishing trips were river crossings get me to the steelhead. thanks for your post and everyones help...   :beer: