Author Topic: Buyers guide sticky?  (Read 1616 times)

Bluewatervet

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -108
  • Male Posts: 63
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Buyers guide sticky?
« on: Nov 13, 2014, 07:49:38 AM »
Just a thought, I think it could be beneficial to new members or simply new to Toyota trucks that we create a buyers guide. More on the what to look for / look out for in buying a rig. The reason I bring this up is the recent truck I have bought visually from a walk around looked like it just needed a few things totaling out to about $300, which isn't bad. But upon pulling parts, I keep finding more problems. Obviously I'm not saying to tear down the truck before you buy it, but get a lil more into it than visual looking.

Personally I would say pull rear wheels off and look at inside of drums to see if outer seal has blown.
Make sure there are no missing bolts in crucial areas like cross member, motor mounts, and such.
If shocks look iffy un bolt one end and make sure it cycles.

I'm sure you all have some kind of input for this. When spending a couple thousand dollars what is too far? Ya this stuff might take a lil extra time, but I think it's time well spent.

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -196
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Buyers guide sticky?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
For only a couple thousand dollars I would expect to find multiple issues with a used toyota from the 80's and 90's. And even more so on a purpose built offroad rig. Knowing what to look for is good but there will always be unforeseen problems, hopefully minor but possibly major. Aside from visually looking for leaks, listening for odd sounds and going by feel during a test drive its hard to find everything wrong with a used vehicle. It could take hours to go through everything and I bet there would still be issues that get overlooked. When I was young my parents always recommended getting a diognostic check done by a mechanic before buying, but things can still be overlooked or parts that were fine can fail the next day. I can't think of anything specific to buying a used Toyota that you wouldn't look for when buying any used vehicle.

I spent more than a couple thousand on a rig that I hoped was close to turn key and later found frame issues that have kept me from using it and is going cost $$$ to repair (I don't have the skills myself).  I have found a bunch of issues with this truck, mostly minor or what I would expect from a used wheeler, they add up but the cost is minimal and I can do the work. I guess what I would recomend when looking at a used wheeler would be to look closely at the frame and any fab work/welding that has been done.

Bluewatervet [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -108
  • Male Posts: 63
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2014, 09:27:41 AM »
It would deffenately take some time to go through a truck properly. But I figure the person you might be buying from will only allow so much in terms of looking at rig. As for the couple thousand dollars, I was using that as a ball park. You could easily spend a lot more but at a certain point on the how much your spending spectrum there should nothing wrong with it or an up front this truck needs "this" and would be otherwise good to go. I know going into a build you will have unexpected problems but when you can spot multiple on the spot problems you should think twice unless the price reflects those.

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2014, 03:45:12 PM »
Fluid Leaks, Oil Odor (if not able to remove valve cover), timing chain guide rail (clacking) or see if plastic guides if able to remove valve cover, radiator for rust colored debris, steering system (pulling or wheel not on center/returning to center), loose connections in steering system, loose connections of cardon (double) joints of driveshafts, rust, oil burning, exhaust leak test, after 10-15min test drive feel front wheel hubs to see if any are hot to the touch, could be a bad wheel bearing or brakes rubbing, all electronic switches (especially rear window on a 4runner, i think it is common they have issues), etc...

I think all that could be done in about 20-30 minutes.  If somebody won't let you check all that, you prob don't wanna buy it. Some people won't want the valve cover removed but if everything else looks good to you and you really want to look under the cover, just tell the person your sold as long as you can take a peek.

Better yet, have a trusted mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection.  Maybe $100 cost.  Again, if seller not willing to allo that, not sure you would want to buy it.

When I sell a vehilce I'll let somebody check it our or have a mechanic of their choice do it.  I know how well I maintain a vehicle, and if their are issues I won'r try to hide them.  I'll be upfront and factor that into the asking price.

That's my  :twocents:

(And when buying an older vehilce, I usually always plan on $500-$1000 getting spent within a year.  Mostly cause I will always drain/flush/swap all fluids, new filters, belts, hoses, T-Stat (with back flushing water lines).
If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.