Author Topic: marlins springs  (Read 2660 times)

twin60s

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
marlins springs
« on: Aug 22, 2005, 06:56:58 PM »
who makes marlins 5inch front springs :confused:

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: marlins springs
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2005, 07:06:03 PM »
The same company that makes the 4" springs. :greengrin:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2005, 07:32:53 PM »
The same company that makes the 4" springs. :greengrin:

:lipsrsealed: :shhh:  :rofl2:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2005, 07:46:24 PM »
That was F N funy    :qtip:
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

Marketing

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -30
  • Male Posts: 1,639
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2005, 09:21:20 PM »
Betts Spring here in California is currently making all of our springs.

We are also working with an overseas vendor that will make the same springs but at a lower cost. Our plans are to offer both the US and foreign made springs. Our bend and jump testing tells us that both springs perform nearly identical but the springs from overseas will cost much less then the US made springs. This will allow us to offer much better pricing on springs in the near future.

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2005, 09:28:54 PM »
I'm curious about the longevity of the springs-  I've got a set of AP Springs that have served me well for 2 seasons but are sagging badly- mainly just to the pasg. side.  I know its too early to tell, but any realistic estimates of break-in sag would be great.

Sorry for the thread-hijack...
Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

Marketing

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -30
  • Male Posts: 1,639
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2005, 10:34:40 PM »
It depends on what springs you got from AP. They used to use USA made springs back when I was working there and those were great. Then they had the same springs made in Mexico. That's when the complaints started coming in with springs sagging and breaking. They had far fewer problems with the US made springs. Now the springs AP sell are made in India. I've tested springs from the same plant and we are not happy with their ability to retain their lift.

It kills me to have to charge a higher price than our competitors like AP. I want to offer good products at the best prices. When we first started making springs our prototypes were made in the US for faster delivery so we could test and change them fast. After a couple of changes we had what we wanted. Our supplier promised us that the Mexico springs would perform exactly the same as our prototypes so we went with springs made in Mexico to keep the prices low. The springs came in and with our prices  similar to AP we sold them all in just a few weeks. But then we had some issues come up and a few trucks really loosing a lot of lift is a short time even with bumpstops installed. We took a set and put them on Dave's truck. Dave had the 4" USA made prototypes still on his truck and still working like new. So with the Mexico springs on Dave's truck he drove through the Dusy trail just like he had done with the USA springs. We noticed a huge difference when he got back, the USA springs had not lost lift but the Mexico springs lost a bunch of lift, about 2" and the front of his truck was much lower than the rear. We called Betts springs and sent samples back for testing. They kept saying that they were the same as the US made springs. After those 50 sets we never bought any more Mexico Made springs and every set from then on were made in the US plant. We have now sold more than a thousand pairs and only had a couple of returns from unhappy users.

We know that we must offer a low cost springs to stay competitive so we have been testing sample springs from Canada, Japan, China, India and the USA to find lower cost quality springs for the future.

As to your question about your springs. It seems that just about every truck leans a little bit one way or the other no matter who's springs you use. It's not uncommon to be off by an inch or more. If it is enough to bother you there are a few things you can try to fix it. First is to swap the front springs left and right. Then drive the truck a bit and check to see if that fixed it. If not, swap the rear springs left and right. Sometimes the rear springs can have more to do with how lever the truck sits because the rear springs are further out of the axle than the front springs. If the truck is still not level you can play with welding spring pads onto the housing (front and/or rear). A spring pad that is 3/8" high can make a difference of 3/4" up front. I would not use more than 1/2" of pad. You could also try adding a short leaf to one of the springs to give it a little more lift on one side.

Bumpstops are key. We usually test our springs without bumpstops as it allows us to age the springs faster. Installing bumpstops keeps the springs from bending too far and loosing their lift. Typical gap would be 3"-4".

twin60s

• Marlin Crawler
« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2005, 05:46:01 AM »
It depends on what springs you got from AP. They used to use USA made springs back when I was working there and those were great. Then they had the same springs made in Mexico. That's when the complaints started coming in with springs sagging and breaking. They had far fewer problems with the US made springs. Now the springs AP sell are made in India. I've tested springs from the same plant and we are not happy with their ability to retain their lift.

It kills me to have to charge a higher price than our competitors like AP. I want to offer good products at the best prices. When we first started making springs our prototypes were made in the US for faster delivery so we could test and change them fast. After a couple of changes we had what we wanted. Our supplier promised us that the Mexico springs would perform exactly the same as our prototypes so we went with springs made in Mexico to keep the prices low. The springs came in and with our prices similar to AP we sold them all in just a few weeks. But then we had some issues come up and a few trucks really loosing a lot of lift is a short time even with bumpstops installed. We took a set and put them on Dave's truck. Dave had the 4" USA made prototypes still on his truck and still working like new. So with the Mexico springs on Dave's truck he drove through the Dusy trail just like he had done with the USA springs. We noticed a huge difference when he got back, the USA springs had not lost lift but the Mexico springs lost a bunch of lift, about 2" and the front of his truck was much lower than the rear. We called Betts springs and sent samples back for testing. They kept saying that they were the same as the US made springs. After those 50 sets we never bought any more Mexico Made springs and every set from then on were made in the US plant. We have now sold more than a thousand pairs and only had a couple of returns from unhappy users.

We know that we must offer a low cost springs to stay competitive so we have been testing sample springs from Canada, Japan, China, India and the USA to find lower cost quality springs for the future.

As to your question about your springs. It seems that just about every truck leans a little bit one way or the other no matter who's springs you use. It's not uncommon to be off by an inch or more. If it is enough to bother you there are a few things you can try to fix it. First is to swap the front springs left and right. Then drive the truck a bit and check to see if that fixed it. If not, swap the rear springs left and right. Sometimes the rear springs can have more to do with how lever the truck sits because the rear springs are further out of the axle than the front springs. If the truck is still not level you can play with welding spring pads onto the housing (front and/or rear). A spring pad that is 3/8" high can make a difference of 3/4" up front. I would not use more than 1/2" of pad. You could also try adding a short leaf to one of the springs to give it a little more lift on one side.

Bumpstops are key. We usually test our springs without bumpstops as it allows us to age the springs faster. Installing bumpstops keeps the springs from bending too far and loosing their lift. Typical gap would be 3"-4".
thanks. i got a set from all pro not to long ago and they are really starting to sag. they are made in canada. they are smelly and obnoxious too

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2005, 06:50:04 PM »
smelly springs are no good... does your truck have gas?
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

twin60s

• Marlin Crawler
« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2005, 08:07:39 PM »
smelly springs are no good... does your truck have gas?
the trucks on e right now. the springs are from canada and you know what those french are all about