Author Topic: BYPass on The RUBICON???  (Read 4701 times)

Pickup_foxrider

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Feb '05
  • PROJECT TOY UNDER WAY!!!
    • View Profile
BYPass on The RUBICON???
« on: Aug 03, 2005, 10:41:54 AM »
Does anyone know if the bypasses for the rubicon open or not??? I am really worriyedabout the gatekeeper??? Also I have a 91 Toyota Pickup with 4" Suspention and a 3" Body with 35" in mud terrans. How safe should I be with out rock sliders???Thanks for the help!!Tristan
89 Toyota 4Runner (stock)

91 Toyota Pickup
4" Susp Lift
3" Body Lift
35" MTR
DVD
10" Sub
More to come!!

I wheel with anything or anybody!!!

BlueRubi

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 14
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
Re: BYPass on The RUBICON???
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2005, 11:45:31 AM »
I went through there this past weekend in a TJ Wrangler with a 3.5" lift and 35" tires.  With a good suspension and a little skill you should be ok.  We watched some stock jeeps go through also (of course they got banged up a little).
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2005, 11:58:15 AM by BlueRubi »
05 Rubicon - 3.5" RE shortarm - 35" TA's - JetChip - Banks Header and catback - Poison Spyder armor

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2005, 11:51:03 AM »
Does anyone know if the bypasses for the rubicon open or not??? I am really worriyedabout the gatekeeper???
There is no bypass for the gatekeeper. If you are taking a bypass, then you are trespassing.
There is a reason The Gatekeeper is there. "You must be this tall to ride this ride" ------------------

TEXXX

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 814
  • Male Posts: 423
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling in Cool, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2005, 11:54:01 AM »
There is no bypass for the gatekeeper. If you are taking a bypass, then you are trespassing.
There is a reason The Gatekeeper is there. "You must be this tall to ride this ride" ------------------
well put minisimp! dont take the bypass and piss some landowner off that is the last thing we need right now!
RIP Gatekeeper you will be missed!

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2005, 11:57:22 AM »
i thought that the whole point was to challange yourself??? bypass??? dont go up there if your planning on going around stuff :nonono:

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2005, 12:08:03 PM »
You can always get body damage. My bud that has a 4runner with 2.5 ton rockwells and 49" Iroks, didn't put rock slider on and smacked his running board.
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2005, 12:08:59 PM »
ya---them rocks ell bita ya :chew:

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2005, 12:12:10 PM »
I am all in favor of avoiding "chicken" routes to get the Maximum challenge (The last time in Moab I told my dad that if he kept taking the easiest route up everthing he wouldn't be allowed drive my truck anymore since I didn't spend the cash to take the easy way); however, I also understand wanting to avoid needless damage...I don't attempt things that I know is too much for my ability or my truck.  I am adamantly against driving on closed routes, but let's not assume that foxrider is planning to or harass a guy for trying to keep his truck clean.  If he was planning to run a closed route, I doubt if he would have asked the question.  I have not had the opportunity to run the Rubicon so I can't help him, but it sounds like he needs to know the likelyhood of body damage if he runs the gatekeeper.

:yesnod:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Pickup_foxrider [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Feb '05
  • PROJECT TOY UNDER WAY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2005, 12:47:43 PM »
I was just curios about the bypass. I heard that there was. I really don't want a lot of damage and I don't have the money for sliders yet. Well if yall have anytips please let me know!!
89 Toyota 4Runner (stock)

91 Toyota Pickup
4" Susp Lift
3" Body Lift
35" MTR
DVD
10" Sub
More to come!!

I wheel with anything or anybody!!!

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2005, 12:54:43 PM »
I was just curios about the bypass. I heard that there was. I really don't want a lot of damage and I don't have the money for sliders yet. Well if yall have anytips please let me know!!
tips= if you dont want body damage, dont go on the con..... the first scratch is the hardest, after that, its all downhill

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2005, 01:06:42 PM »
If you can't afford sliders, build them.
If you can't build them, wait until you can afford them.
Don't do the Con without sliders, or you will be really aquainted with body damage.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2005, 02:26:42 PM »
foxrider, PM RUGER, there is a gatekeeper bypass, he has taken it, but I'm not sure where it is.  I have the identical truck, 4" suspension, 3" body, 35" BFG MTs, and I would have beat the crap outta my truck w/o my sliders.  I used them on gatekeeper, and I had installed them the week before. I went the weekend of the 23rd, so not much has changed, IMO put on the sliders, or dont go :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2005, 03:03:52 PM »
IIRC, if you come in on the Wentworth side, you bypass Gatekeeper and the slabs.
"between projects"

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Aug 03, 2005, 03:05:56 PM »
foxrider, PM RUGER, there is a gatekeeper bypass, he has taken it, but I'm not sure where it is.  I have the identical truck, 4" suspension, 3" body, 35" BFG MTs, and I would have beat the crap outta my truck w/o my sliders.  I used them on gatekeeper, and I had installed them the week before. I went the weekend of the 23rd, so not much has changed, IMO put on the sliders, or dont go :thumbs:

The Gatekeeper bypass is down the creek a ways. You can't miss it if you just go down the slab for awhile.  I found it last time I had my f-250 up there  :yupyup:  Also Wentworth Springs is a good bypass but I hear there's a ton of water through there :hammer:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 03, 2005, 03:49:58 PM »
wentworth springs is ok to go through,  supermat and I went through it to get out. its rocky through there, but there are some bypasses ou can take.  I would definitely advise sliders though, you'll wish you had them, sooner than later

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 03, 2005, 04:03:10 PM »
Ok, everyone needs to read this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371723
and this...
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68310&highlight=gatekeeper

The bypass you are talking about is Mark Smith's land, and I don't think he would mind shooting out some tires if he catches ya.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 03, 2005, 04:23:21 PM »
Good to know mini :thumbs:  Gatekeeper wasnt hard, but I had my drivers side slider sitting right on that rock on the drivwers side, and pivoted my whole truck around on that slider, and then drove through, scraping on both sides.  Supermat was following me, and he said he really appreciated me painting my sliders red, becaue then he could see where I lined up, and follow me.  he has the identical truck as well, but w/o the body lift.  I dont know if you have a SA, supermat and I don't, but as I have said, you will not regret the sliders, but you will regret running the trial without them :twocents:

-Ronald Reagan

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #17 on: Aug 03, 2005, 05:28:57 PM »
I never actually took the bypass, I just saw it, it kinda just dropped 4 feet and it was really narrow, not something I wanted to try in 2wd  :hammer: 

My plan is Gatekeeper :hyper:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

flyin ryan

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -204
  • Male Posts: 241
  • Member since Sep '04
  • poser to the extreme!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 04, 2005, 12:47:41 AM »
hey black dog, I was there that day when that pic as taken.

I have an 85 runner with 35's, lockers, allpro 5" lift only, and no sliders.  I was very cautious and worried of my quarters.  I kept street psi in my tires to maintain clearance.  It took me two attempts over the keeper but made it without a scratch, came within a few inches of hitting.  I found an excellent line that gave me a straight shot over the keeper rather that trying to make my left hand turn as I was going over the two huge rocks. I would I do recommend sliders, just for the piece of mind.

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 04, 2005, 12:53:23 AM »
Come awn now I made it through fordyce without sliders :) And did it with no damage! Just 4 sheared driveline bolts.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!