Author Topic: Radiator Stop Leak?  (Read 3430 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Radiator Stop Leak?
« on: Jul 10, 2005, 11:53:32 AM »
The reason for the exclamation point is I would like to take care of the problem today if possible.

My truck doesn't have a leak in the radiator itself, but the 22R is leaking out the back of the block through the small plate.  When I changed the clutch we pulled the plate and tried to reseal it, but I actually leaks about the same or more now.  I'm thinking that a stop leak product might cure the problem temporarily.

Any brand suggestions?  Any experiences?  Am I being stupid?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: Radiator Stop Leak?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2005, 12:57:06 PM »
Just pull the plate back off and put a new gasket on it.  Trust me, a leak in that damned plate made a normal 4 hour drive into a 10 hour ordeal.  Just change it you'll thank me later...
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2005, 01:08:21 PM »
I had that problem also, you need to change the gaskit to fix it.
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2005, 01:58:33 PM »
I put a new gasket on it a couple of months ago and it still has a slow leak.  I am nearly positive that the plate is the cause, but I'm not 100% sure.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2005, 02:18:13 PM »
You'll never know till you pull the plate off. ;) 

There are some good stopleaks out there bars leak is pretty good but there is one made by gunk that kicks ass over all the rest.  I cant remember what it was called but its in a clear bottle with a yellow cap. 

I finally made the last hour of my drive home with a blown radiator and a leaking head plate with river water and 2 camels emptied into the radiator. lol 
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Rebeltilldeath3

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -48
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Suicide Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2005, 07:05:48 PM »
Using stop leak should be a sin.

Dump some in your radiator, then 6 months later pull the head and look at the water jackets.  They'll be almost clogged shut.

I honestly have never met anyone that approves of any radiator stop leak.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2005, 07:09:32 PM »
I was gonna say BarS leak, but maybe your plate is warped/bent...Might wanna check it out  :thumbs:

Good luck!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Rebeltilldeath3

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -48
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Suicide Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2005, 08:31:21 PM »

I finally made the last hour of my drive home with a blown radiator and a leaking head plate with river water and 2 camels emptied into the radiator. lol

Ha, when I had a bad radiator in winter I went walking through someones field to get to a creek that bent back behind their house.  I had the cops called on me.  I walked about 100yards in one foot of snow to get to this damn creek, then have the cops called on me, wtf.  You would think when they saw my truck pouring out steam they would realize I might need some help.

Two weeks later I was melting snow on my valve cover for water.

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Online The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2005, 08:43:38 PM »
I've always heard from my engine machine guy and my radiator guy that they will never reccomend any stop leaks. Like Rebel said, it gums stuff up requiring a new radiator. Sometimes they can't even hot tank the block to clean the water passages after this stuff. I'd say gasket, new plate, pull motor and have that area re surfaced in that order. If one doesn't fix it, go to the next.
"between projects"

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2005, 09:37:10 PM »
i say use it sparingly and don't dump it all in at once.  it's saved my hide on quite a few occasions.  i had to put some bar's in my engine when i first built it, let's just say i'm not gonna try installing my own freeze plugs from now on :hammerhead:

i used some gray RTV to put the crossover plate on the back of my head today, then realized i had a gasket laying around from an old exhaust manifold kit after it was already bolted on and torqued. :smack: seems to be holding up so far though, i just wish you could buy those gaskets seperately without buying a hole topend or exhaust kit

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2005, 10:26:45 PM »
i say use it sparingly and don't dump it all in at once. it's saved my hide on quite a few occasions. i had to put some bar's in my engine when i first built it, let's just say i'm not gonna try installing my own freeze plugs from now on :hammerhead:

i used some gray RTV to put the crossover plate on the back of my head today, then realized i had a gasket laying around from an old exhaust manifold kit after it was already bolted on and torqued. :smack: seems to be holding up so far though, i just wish you could buy those gaskets seperately without buying a hole topend or exhaust kit

I got the single gasket from the Toyota dealer for a few dollars when I did mine.  The leak is small enough that I will probably just add water every couple of months.  I am planning to have the radiator serviced tomorrow night and I might add some stop leak, not sure yet.