Author Topic: manual tranny swap in an 86 runner  (Read 1736 times)

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
manual tranny swap in an 86 runner
« on: Jul 06, 2005, 10:12:27 AM »
I recently bought an 86 4runner sasd and all... its got an auto tranny  :crazy: ... i think that auto tranny is dieing because when you let off the gas it makes a weird grinding noise.  So if in fact the tranny is dieing on me i would like to ditch the auto and swap in a turbo manual tranny and dual t-case setup.  Does your shop their at Marlin Crawler do manual tranny swaps?  By the way.. i did do a search on this topic and found some info but i wanted more... that was pertaining to my 4runner.  Becuase this model vehicle had an optional manual tranny.. i assume that everything that is needed for the manual tranny... clutch linkage, master cylinder... all the stuff that a manual tranny needs would just bolt on once i have the auto crap out of the way....am i way off in thinking this?  Or would this be a relatively direct swap aside from different output shaft spline counts?  Well ive probably left some things out but thanks in advance for any info you guys can provide me.
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: manual tranny swap in an 86 runner
« Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2005, 10:46:20 AM »
Where is the noise coming from? Are you sure it's the trans, could be the pinion nut is loose. When you are on the gas the pinion will lift and when you coast it will drop onto the carrier and grind on it.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 06, 2005, 10:47:47 AM »
Im a complete noob when it comes to the auto tranny... you wouldnt happen to have a pic of what you are talking about would you?

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2005, 10:50:52 AM »
The pinion as in ring and pinion is in the third member of your axle. I've never heard an auto trans grind, they usually start slipping and just fade away.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2005, 11:27:30 AM »
o... stupid me... so can i just open up the rear third.. and tighten the nut or is it damaged now... now that i think about it this is probably a likely thing becuase there is some oil leaking out of the third member...

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2005, 08:54:14 PM »
you wont have to open it up...the pinion nut is what holds the d/s flange on...IE...it's on the outside...just pull the d/s. 

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2005, 05:03:45 PM »
Ok well i pulled the Driveshaft and inspected the pinion nut.. as far as i can tell it appears to be on there just fine.  Also i think its a possibilty that the u joints could be worn out... or wearing out.. this could cause the vibration but not the noise right?

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2005, 01:35:03 AM »
Ok well i pulled the Driveshaft and inspected the pinion nut.. as far as i can tell it appears to be on there just fine.  Also i think its a possibilty that the u joints could be worn out... or wearing out.. this could cause the vibration but not the noise right?
\

When mine went out it made a lot of noise and a lot of vibration. Might as well swap them out to see if it works anyway. It was like $20 and not that much of my time to put them in.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2005, 08:14:09 PM »

When my pinion started loosening it wasn't visible to the eye or fiscal movement. I saw it once I pulled the 3rd and saw the pinion gear marks on my carrier.