Author Topic: To cut or not to cut  (Read 863 times)

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
To cut or not to cut
« on: Jun 27, 2005, 10:01:03 PM »
Well I finally started some cutting in preparation for my SAS :clap2: I started cleaning up the solid sitting in my side yard. I cut the torque bar bracket off and was wondering about the bracket that sits in front of it, it has a twin just outboard of the right spring perch also. What were they for and can I cut it off? What else should I cut? I am going to reinforce the steering bumpstops. I heard that on the pass side the lower perch thingy can be hacked??? true? Thanks for the  :help:
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Re: To cut or not to cut
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2005, 10:03:31 PM »
The lower perche thing can be cut off, but leave a little edge so the u-bolts have something to align them.  All the opther brakets can be cut off unles you want to keep the sway bar  :(   Cap the steering stop, they tend to bend.  And if you can, plate the front of the diff, it can dent easily if hit on a rock.

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2005, 10:04:47 PM »
The brackets you are talking about are for the sway bar.  Cut'em off.  Dont cut the lower perch plate off all the way.  Just trim it so you can use it as a slider for the u-bolts and it does add a bit of strength to the housing. If you'll look on about page 25 of $300 you'll see just what I did to my front housing.  Its good info fo sho. :gap:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

RHG [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2005, 10:07:26 PM »
gracious all my fellow turtle friends!
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork