Author Topic: is a cv rear shaft necessary  (Read 1193 times)

shooter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -72
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
is a cv rear shaft necessary
« on: Jun 29, 2005, 06:27:57 PM »
hey all I just finised installing my dual case setup and debating on weather on not to run a CV rear shaft.  I have an 85 long bed with a w56 and dual cases. marilin springs in the front and 63'' chevys in the rear. I measured flange to flange and the distance is 40.5'' the height difference between the two flanges is 12'' and currenty bolth flanges are at the same angle.  I know the best thing to do is to run a cv shaft because the driveline is more up out of the way. but cutting and re welding perches is something i'd rather not do. I dont have a welder redily avalible. do you guys think a standard dive line would vibrate too bad on the freeway with the angles that i currently have?

UNBREAKABLE

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Male Posts: 2,028
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a RockStar
    • View Profile
Re: is a cv rear shaft necessary
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2005, 07:24:59 PM »
I would run a CV for 2 reasons
1---Vibration is kept down
2---Travel with those 63's......

wait a minute, are you talking about a 1 or 2 piece drive shaft?

run a 1 piece with a CV and that is all.....cut out all that carrier bearing b/s
That's how I roll

dirtyskivies

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 39
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2005, 07:52:58 PM »
if you run a cv joint you have to point the pinion up at the Tcase(or really close, preferably 1-2 degrees below it so when your on the gas it points right at it) that means you have to cut off the perches and redo them like you said.  if you run a standard Ujoint on both ends you have to match the angles at both flanges which may require tweeking the pinion angle as well.

the 2 standard Ujoints on a shaft cancel eachothers oscillations thats why you have to match the angle(and the oscillation)

on a cv jointed shaft you point the pinion up at the Tcase so theyres no angle on the Ujoint end, since the 2 Ujoints in the cv joint(double cardon) split the angle and cancel eachothers oscillations out....

hope that makes sense?
2002 trd v6 tacoma
1986 4runner type thing
1998 ktm supermoto

shooter [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -72
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2005, 09:10:46 PM »
yeah we are talkin one peice.

bolth flanges are at the exact same angle....but isn't there a pointon a standard driveshaft where the angle of the drive shaft in relation to the flange is too much and will start to cause problems. Am I even close to that point? 

Or basicly I was wondering if anyone out there is running roughly the same combination is I am with a single u-joint rear shaft?