Author Topic: Money 2005  (Read 1974 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Money 2005
« on: May 09, 2005, 11:56:31 AM »
Yesterday I reformatted the hard drive on my computer because I was having several stupid problems and reformatting always seems to fix things.  This time I think the problem was a combination of changing virus software and service pack 2.  In any case I moved all important information to the D drive prior to reformatting.  Everything worked well except that my Microsoft Money 2005 wouldn't open or restore so I got to rebuild my finances.  A few months ago I updated to 2005 from 2001 or 2002 and it has caused me nothing but trouble.  The new online/netpass/password features are a royal pain in the tail.  I even stumped tech support the last time.  That time I deleted my netpass account and then couldn't access my file, it was a mistake on my part, but there seemingly was no backdoor into the file/program.  My advise is to keep what you have it you are happy with it.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
Re: Money 2005
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 01:27:39 PM »
While I love computers, my favorite technology is a pen and paper....

Erik  :beerchug:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 02:01:59 PM »
Yesterday I reformatted the hard drive on my computer because I was having several stupid problems and reformatting always seems to fix things.  This time I think the problem was a combination of changing virus software and service pack 2.  In any case I moved all important information to the D drive prior to reformatting.  Everything worked well except that my Microsoft Money 2005 wouldn't open or restore so I got to rebuild my finances.  A few months ago I updated to 2005 from 2001 or 2002 and it has caused me nothing but trouble.  The new online/netpass/password features are a royal pain in the tail.  I even stumped tech support the last time.  That time I deleted my netpass account and then couldn't access my file, it was a mistake on my part, but there seemingly was no backdoor into the file/program.  My advise is to keep what you have it you are happy with it.

When you changed virsus software did you leave the old software installed? If you didn't that could be your problem get rid of the old virus software they could be fighting with each other. Plus service pack 2 can have its issues too if it didn't come already installed on your computer when you first bought it. No I'm not a geek I listen to Jeff Levy every weekend on KNX 1070 and these are some of the issues he addresses with people and computer problems. It is a call in show and he also gives an on air computer lesson on how to do neat stuff with your computer every saturday and sunday at 12:00 noon. He does in real-speak not geek lingo. You probably don't get the show up north there but I would imagine if you wanted to call him and have him address you troubles he'd go ape over having someone call him from so far away.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 11:55:24 PM »
I hate to say it. But if your not into gaming....Apple is the way to go. No viruses, crashes, fatal errors etc.... much more stable system. of course I have a PC because nobody can afford a MAC.   Sorry to hear about that though!  I would hunt down Bill gates If I ever lost all my Money Info
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

4DEES

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 1,403
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THROW SOME DEES ON THAT B1TCH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 12:07:22 AM »
I have no idea WTF you guys are talkin about :headscratch: , I'm stupid when it comes to computers :hammerhead:
***ROCK BRAWLERS~Southern Cali***
 www.rockbrawlers.com 

'85 Toy, 42's and a body lift!

ROCK IT TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF!!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2005, 07:03:34 AM »
If you are having problems with Microsoft Money 2005 when you try to restore a back up file after a computer reformat or on a new computer, I figure out the problem last night.

Microsoft, in their great wisdom, made Money 2005 update the program version automatically when hooked to the internet.  The problem results from storing a back up file using the latest version and then trying to use it on the original install that is an older version.  It turns out that all you have to do is start a blank file and the program will update automatically and allow you to open the new file.
I thought that I had lost a bunch of data in the past because the files won't open, but as it turns out, there is a solution.

I'm wondering if an back up file might not work if the program version got ahead of the file, rather than behind?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

PAToyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 284
  • Male Posts: 65
  • Member since Jun '02
  • '85 RN60 Shortbed Standard Cab
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2005, 09:54:15 AM »
Apple is the way to go. No viruses, crashes, fatal errors etc.... much more stable system. of course I have a PC because nobody can afford a MAC.

I've always been Apple at home.  Have to use a PC at work, though.  As for the money issue, how much is the time you spend dealing with all the problems worth?  Plus the money for anti-virus and tech support?  I just picked up a PowerMac Dual 2.0Ghz G5, 2.5Gig of RAM, and a 19" LCD monitor for under $2K.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2005, 12:58:06 PM »
my sister got a mac laptop bout a year ago for 700, 1 year old. she's never had a single problem with hers other than that she left it on the charger for about 3 weeks and now her battery doesnt last very long.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech