Author Topic: So you want to use Silicone Sealer on your engine heh? better NOT!!!  (Read 5071 times)

Toyoballs

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -164
  • Member since Dec '03
  • The Slow and The Dangerous!
    • View Profile
I was reading a topic on the dude with no oil pressure and how he was gonna go back and Silicone the crap out of it in hopes this would help  :headscratch:

I just rebuilt a 22RE which had a blown head gasket. The head gasket wasn't the reason for overhaul - the gobs of excess Silicone sealer someone put on the oil pan gasket at one time was. This crap go into the oil passages and wreaked havoc - major havoc  :yikes:

It took out three of the rod bearings and two of the mains; however, I couldn't believe what it did to the head and cam.
It plugged up the center cam journal and caused it to seize up, well, the engine just kept turning the cam anyway (PO didn't hear grinding noises under hood I guess). It finally Gould up enough to break the center top cam mounting plate in two.  :shake_head:

Different topic: - One thing that confuses me is why someone would reuse and old oil pump in a rebuilt engine. Seems like allot of hard earned $ spent on a new engine it would deserve a new oil pump - kinda like it's heart
Just Grind It Down To Metric...

"MAKE IT OR BREAK IT"
Extreme Off-Road Club

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Some people just don realize that stuff that seals leaks can and does seal everything it touches. I always wonder what some people are thinking, just like when the use a radiator sealer, pour it in, it will seal the leak and every passage in the radiator too. I will admit to using some but very little, not the whole bottle.

As to the oil pump, cheap shortcut it still worked so why not use it. :slap:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

seanc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -357
  • Male Posts: 347
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Wheeler For Life!
    • View Profile
and it sucksmajor a** to clean up and engine/intake with that shi* all over. have to clean everything so much, thank buddha for hot tanks and steam parts cleaners
You win some, you lose some.

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't whatever's in the oil pan hit the oil filter before it lubes the engine?

BLUCRUZ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 241
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Mar '04
  • CA4WD LIFE MEMBER
    • View Profile
correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't whatever's in the oil pan hit the oil filter before it lubes the engine?

Yes you are correct, from the pan to the pump then past your pressure sensor and then turns up to the filter before travelling into the cam & crank journals. I'm the one who was going to silicone the crap out of everything too, however I believe I was misunderstood slightly. If you do not silicone the timing cover cover gaskets thoroghly and evenly the front cover can leak oil like crazy and call also allow coolant & oil to mix. I originally put only enough silicone on the gaskets to hold them in place for installation. After my oil pressure problem, which had nothing to do with a gasket by the way, I put a very thin layer of silicone on the entire gasket when I used them. Definately not gobbed on to the point where it squezzes out all over the place.
Generally speaking you should only use enough silicone to get the job done.
72 FJ40. 350 Multiport EFI, turbo 400, ORION T-case, 35 Procomp's  disk brakes front & rear, ARB's F&R and an onboard shower for the ladies!
86 sr-5 4runner SAS conversion. E-lockers F&R, 5.29's 4.7 Marlin case.

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
yep, i coated my timing cover gaskets with ultra blue and no leaks.  though if there's a next time i'll use ultra gray, it holds up to oil better.

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
yep, i coated my timing cover gaskets with ultra blue and no leaks. though if there's a next time i'll use ultra gray, it holds up to oil better.
personally I wouldn't recommend using "blue glue" on anything.I like the black myself it sets up pretty good and doesn't leave the "boogers" like blue does.
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
yep, well aware of that now!  the only colors i'll use any more on the toy are gray, black and copper!

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
yeah grey is the shiznit. some black here and there. havent tried the copper yet.

this is off topic i guess, but what color rtv do you use for what?
Im an OG

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
I use ultra black for tranny t-case and Ultra red for engine dirr's etc.  blue is the debil I absolutely despise that garbage yet its used by almost everyone out there.  I just dont get it it dries soft and has a nasty tendancy to get into everything.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Sadly, many of the toy gearsets out there are shipped with the blue silicon in them...you have to let the crap sit for bout half hour before you install anything cause it jus squeezes out and globs all over the ground.  ???
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
As I said,  Its garbage and should be avoided. It makes me wonder if there is a kickback to the gasket makers if they unload enough of those damned little tubes of demon seed on the general public?
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
DEMON SEED   BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
 :rofl2:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Toyoballs [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
I couldn't tell you what color it was, it looked black/gray to me. All I know is there was WAY too much around the oil pan gasket. This the only area I found it on so I would say judging from the damage, I'd stay away from it. I don't really use any sealer on my gaskets as they already have it built into the gaskets. I only put a dab on the top of the timing cover where it meets the block (Per FSM). I never have ANY oil leaks on anything.

I wasn't trying to poke a stick in anyones eye - just trying to show what it can really cost by using an excess amount of this crap on your engine  :yikes:

I'm doing two 22RE's at the same time right know - I post a build up on their progress for people to read. It's going to be slow as right now I'm FINALLY  :drooling: installing my Bullet Marlin crawler  :turtle:  into "Bender" and this project take priority over the engines.

"MAKE IT OR BREAK IT"
Extreme Off-Road Club

Justin

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 49
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
If I'm not mistaken toyota doesn't even use an oil pan gskt
just their kick ass sealer. But I work at a dealer so I'm partial to toyota's sealer just cause I basically get it for free
A little does go a long way.

Toyoballs [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
The Fel-Pro gasket kit does come with a pan gasket.

I've got friends that work in Toyota dealership shops and I get a tube of their sealer once in a while for free  :shhh:  That's some of the better sealer out there. I think most engines in cars/trucks today use sealer like that instead of gaskets - cost I guess, but if there is a gasket for it I'll use it first before using sealer and then It doesn't take allot. I should've took a photo of how much was on this oil pan that trashed the engine.

"MAKE IT OR BREAK IT"
Extreme Off-Road Club

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
I swear I posted this somewhere already...but I can't find it.  Anywhoo-

I agree about the Toyota FIPG.  I work at a dealership and its the only stuff I'll use.  Theres some sealing the valve covers on my diesel Ford right now.  Its the best stuff you can get, but its messy and expensive.  I tend to have "extra" after finishing jobs, so I don't usually have to pay for it, but would pay the price even if I didn't work there.

Also, I always use a product called Gold-N-Seal on the timing cover gaskets.  Its basically like oldskool copper coat, but a little better.  IT comes in a rattle can, so you can spray on a nice thin even coat and let it almost dry.  Spray the other side, and let it get tacky, and it holds the gaskets on the block just right until you can bolt down the cover.  It doesn't ooze out all over everywhere and comes apart easily next time the timing cover needs to come off.  I leard this from a 10yr. Master Tech, and between the 2 of us, we've never had one come back leaking...

My  :twocents:

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 371
  • Male Posts: 275
  • Member since May '04
  • 3RZ-FE power is that much closer.
    • View Profile
That's great info Ryan, thanks for the post.  :thumbs:
In Progress: 3RZ-FE Swap Underway.

Currently: 87' 4Runner - SAS - 5.29's - welded rear - Dual 2.28 cases - Optima bluetop - round headlight conversion - FZJ80 grill - rattlecan paint job - trimmed fenders - Ranger hybrid springs front - Tacoma hybrid springs rear - schedule 160 drivelines 8" slip front - Marlin's crossmember - disk brake conversion