Author Topic: Friend w/ 3.0 head gasket asking 4 help?  (Read 1902 times)

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
Friend w/ 3.0 head gasket asking 4 help?
« on: Apr 22, 2005, 11:04:51 AM »
My girlfriend's boss has a 93 pickup with a 3.0 V6 with 190k miles on it and it consumes oil.  The truck is a weekend toy.  It has water in the oil.  It already had the Toyota Recall fix done a few years back after that gasket blew.  So this is the second one.  No other work has been done.

He asked me if I would do the work for him since mechanics are asking really high prices.  His mechanic is asking $1500 including 300 for a head gasket.  What should he be paying?  I know head gaskets wont cost that much but maybe he is talking about a head set.

I could do it but I don't know if it would be worth it and I can't do it until May 16 anyway.  Plus I still need to do the head gasket on my truck.  I don't think I can help him but maybe I can steer him in the right direction.

I don't know if I'm comfortable doing just a head gasket on a 190k motor that burns oil.  That's all he wants to do.  I told him paying someone to do the whole motor would likely cost more than the truck is worth.  My dad had the same problem a few months back.  I don't live near him and didn't have the time so he had a dealer do the work and installed a reman long block, cost him $4500+.  I told my dad he's nuts but he wanted to do it, he likes the truck.

Any suggestions?
'04 Taco DC 4x4

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Friend w/ 3.0 head gasket asking 4 help?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2005, 11:46:39 AM »
Thats no fun.  here's a link you will probably find most helpful.  I did the headgaskets, then the motor after fixing the heads didnt work.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=8227.0 

I aslo have a tech write up on the headgaskets, and if you need anyhelp at all drop me a PM or something, and I'll give you as much help as I can
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

91 super yoda

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -56
  • Male Posts: 400
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Axe' em Jacks
    • View Profile
    • Old Town Customs
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2005, 01:10:22 PM »
there is a place in dallas that sells turn key toyota motors that are pull outs with 60,000 miles on them from Japan. i think they run about $1200.
thats the way that im going to go when mine craps out.
ill try and get the name of the place when i talk to my dad

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2005, 01:21:48 PM »
there is a place in dallas that sells turn key toyota motors that are pull outs with 60,000 miles on them from Japan. i think they run about $1200.
thats the way that im going to go when mine craps out.
ill try and get the name of the place when i talk to my dad

I found a place like that online, but it was about 2500 :dunno: same place?

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

91 super yoda

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -56
  • Male Posts: 400
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Axe' em Jacks
    • View Profile
    • Old Town Customs
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2005, 01:50:04 PM »
wow thats a big price difference, ill be downtown next weekend and ill go ahead and check for all toyota motors, i think they even have the toyota diesels, that would be sweet.
but ill get a name and a price for them
oh ya about the head gasket, if its got 190k miles on it its time for a rebuild any way, the complete rebuild kit for a 22r/e is around $450 so the v-6 should probably be somewhere around $550-$600, just a guess though
to me it wouldnt be worth just a jead gasket .
and even if teh head gasket isnt the problem your lookin at a cracked block or cracked head. :hammerhead:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2005, 01:51:47 PM »
and even if teh head gasket isnt the problem your lookin at a cracked block or cracked head. :hammerhead:

Which is what I had :smack: (block)

-Ronald Reagan

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2005, 08:01:35 PM »
$1500 with the gaskets is about right for a shop. My co-worker just did one for $600 not including any parts, and was pissed he went that low! (it was a friend) Said next time he'll not go below $700! that just for his labor.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Huhwhye [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2005, 10:25:18 PM »
But now that I've had a full day to think about it, it's probably best I let someone else handle this for him.  I have too much on my plate and even though a few bucks can't hurt I don't think its worth it for me right now, especially if it gets more involved like a cracked head or block.  My own truck needs work, not to mention other projects that I've put off.  I think I'll tell him everything that was said here and let him decided how to proceed.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

redneck

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2005, 11:03:24 AM »
scrap it and put a 22re in it the 3.0 is just a boat ancor they suck not reliable to say the least not much more h-p than a good 22r-e
git-r-done  certified Master tech