Author Topic: Finally...SAS...Question Though.  (Read 1436 times)

Pickup_foxrider

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Feb '05
  • PROJECT TOY UNDER WAY!!!
    • View Profile
Finally...SAS...Question Though.
« on: Apr 25, 2005, 12:11:41 PM »
Finally starting to piece my sas together but I got some questions???
1. What type of springs should I run????
2. Should I wait to get a front drive shaft till I get my Dual Transfer Case???
3. Will 5.29s be good enough??
4. Make my own kit or buy one???
5. Detroit or ARB locker front and rear???

I just am new to this and I want to do this right the first time so any help would be great. I am so confused!!! ???  ???  ???  Thanks to all that help me!!!
89 Toyota 4Runner (stock)

91 Toyota Pickup
4" Susp Lift
3" Body Lift
35" MTR
DVD
10" Sub
More to come!!

I wheel with anything or anybody!!!

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 1,038
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Rocking and Rollin with Marlin!!!
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
Re: Finally...SAS...Question Though.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2005, 02:10:20 PM »
The biggest question everybody will ask is do you have money?

If you have a decent budget, then just do it right the first time. Marlins has everything you need, get the front SAS kit, and you cant go wrong. Thats what I did, and it all went together easy the first time. If your trying to save money, then you better be a good fabricator, because it takes lots of time to make all your own parts, then if you dont have a welder, or know how to weld, it will take twice as long. :twocents:

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2005, 02:42:53 PM »
Im going through the same thing. I have a lot of questions as well, but 99% of them were answered this weekend at the jambo by other guys who have done sas.  All I can say is get the Kit. I will be getting the completel marlin sas kit minus shock hoops and spacers since I already have that.  If you wanna save even more money minus the springs from the kit and do rear springs up front.

I was going to use a torch to cut everything but I was advised to just use a sawzall and grinder, this is the most time consumng part of the swap.  Use a hole saw for the rear mounts. 

If you are unable to weld yourself there are many shops in CA that are willing to install the mounts with the IFS still on your truck. So you can drive around for a while and save up for the crossover steering etc... if you need to.

Do some searches on google there a re a few writeups with pics that will help guide ya.

For driveshafts you can send you cores to High angle driveline or use a local shop to lengthen/shorten your shafts if you are running duals.

Lockers are $$$$  You dont even want to know how much I paid for my high pinion front arb and arb rear. Search the message boards on pirate and marlins for used thirds, some guys give up or get bored with there rigs and part them out etc....
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2005, 02:47:08 PM by guywithuglyyota »
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

hudlenutz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Male Posts: 220
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
    • My Page
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2005, 09:42:11 AM »
Not that you need convincing to get arb's (you just need money).

About two weekends ago, I was out wheeling in a mixed group.  We were following an icy trail on a really steep side hill.  Everyone that had fulltime lockers/welded diffs slid off the side of the trail down the hill into some brush and trees.  Anyone with a limited slip, open diff, or selectable locker just crept on by. 

The problem was: the full time locked guys would spin both tires, sacrificing all traction, and sliding down the hill.  When an open diff or a limited would spin the tires, only one would break loose, and the other tire would remain stationary acting as an anchor to keep the rig on the trail.  Ice may not be a big deal for you, but it sure makes or breaks a lot of trail runs here in Wyoming.

Also, in the long run, the arb's will be cheaper.  With the detroit you'll eat tires faster.  With the ARB, you can unlock for your daily driving, and save a lot on tires.

Sounds like a fun buildup.   :turtle:

So.. if it's a weekend warrior, arbs front and rear.  If it's a trail only rig, detroit or spool? in the rear, and ARB in the front (so you can turn it off when you need to make those tight corners.)

hudlenutz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Male Posts: 220
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
    • My Page
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2005, 09:47:55 AM »
Snow Wheelin' Rules!!!    :king:

...O/T.. sorry guys. :_oops: