Author Topic: Newly built Marlin built rear diff doesn't fit my 8" carrier  (Read 751 times)

TokTokE

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hey all,

I started my diff install this weekend, thinking it would be a quick job, but try as I might, I cannot get the 3rd member into my axle housing. 

The diff seems to be getting caught up on the adjusting nut on one side and the seal housing (the disk with the protruding copper air pipe) on the other.  It seems like the adjusting nut is protruding further than it should, but I haven't set one of these up myself so I really don't know.  Could incorrect setup be the cause?

toyodaaddict

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
Sound like you've got an ARB diff. I think what you are running into is probably normal with the parts being used.

You can see in this pic where I had to do some grinding on my housing to get a Marlin built high pinion ARB diff to fit. A little for the adjusting nut/seal housing and a little for the ring gear. There was a fair bit of test fitting. Also, make sure your copper line isn't contacting anything inside the housing.

80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

TokTokE [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
You're right on the money.   ARB diff it is, and your grind marks are exactly where my diff is contacting.  I have shiny buff marks in exactly those spots from trying to wiggle it in.

Thanks for the intel, I think this puts me on the right track.   Not thrilled at the prospect of having to grind my housing, but better than having an incompatible diff.  :hammerhead:

toyodaaddict

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
  Not thrilled at the prospect of having to grind my housing, but better than having an incompatible diff.  :hammerhead:
It's nothing to worry about. You wont have to remove much material, certainly not enough to negatively effect the housing in any way.  The worst part for me was contorting my self under the truck and test fitting that heavy diff over and over. I was way obsessive about that copper line not touching anything.

I also found the 4cyl diff studs where too short for the High pinion housing. I think (not sure) that the v6 housings are also to thick for the 4cyl studs. Marlin's part number for the longer studs is MCHT-345. Wish I could find Toyota's part number. Anyway good luck, That ARB should put a smile on your face once it's in there.

80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Sound like you've got an ARB diff. I think what you are running into is probably normal with the parts being used.

You can see in this pic where I had to do some grinding on my housing to get a Marlin built high pinion ARB diff to fit. A little for the adjusting nut/seal housing and a little for the ring gear. There was a fair bit of test fitting. Also, make sure your copper line isn't contacting anything inside the housing.

I had to do the same thing..
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

TokTokE [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Reporting back:  Success!

I took off a tiny bit where the diff contacted (~2.5-3.5 o'clock and 8.5 - 9.5 o'clcok) and it slipped in like a charm. 

I did a little extra work to tuck the copper tube as well, just to be on the safe side.   Getting the rest buttoned up and hopefully take it for a spin here in a bit. 

Thanks for the help!