Author Topic: New timing chain on 22re now no oil pressure  (Read 2899 times)

MilesGC1999

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 39
  • Male Posts: 114
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
New timing chain on 22re now no oil pressure
« on: Oct 10, 2020, 11:30:59 AM »
So, I was driving my truck about 3 weeks ago and stopped at a parking lot and it died on me. Long story short the timing chain snapped.
I ordered a dual chain upgrade kit and finished getting it all installed this morning.
Went to prime the engine and there is no oil pressure. I'm not sure why this is happening.
I still have a lot of component off the engine but all the covers and vacuum stuff is hooked up.
I tried googling this but everyone says it should get pressure in seconds.
 Also during the chain job I dropped the pan and the pickuo to clean it out so I know it isnt a clogged pickup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I am beyond stressed about this seeing as I've never gone this far into my engine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

i like cars

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: New timing chain on 22re now no oil pressure
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2020, 04:13:00 PM »
Are you using the gauge in the cluster, or checking the pressure at the sending unit?  If the cluster, the gauge is an electric one, so it may not work correctly without all the grounds and battery hooked up.

If you removed the pick up tube, did you use a new gasket, could be losing pressure right there.

Also, the 22r(e) is an interference engine, when the t-chain breaks it usually results in bent valves.  If you didn't pull the head and check the valves and inspect the the tops of the pistons, your current effort may be a waste of time when you get it all bolted back together.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2020, 05:12:15 PM »

Are you using the gauge in the cluster, or checking the pressure at the sending unit?  If the cluster, the gauge is an electric one, so it may not work correctly without all the grounds and battery hooked up.

If you removed the pick up tube, did you use a new gasket, could be losing pressure right there.

Also, the 22r(e) is an interference engine, when the t-chain breaks it usually results in bent valves.  If you didn't pull the head and check the valves and inspect the the tops of the pistons, your current effort may be a waste of time when you get it all bolted back together.

I was using the gauge cluster but I pulled the oil filter off to verify it is not getting any oil. I did take the pick up tube off and I made a gasket using felpro blue sheet gasket. I dis not take the head off because the guys at my shop that have done these engines before said I am better off putting the new chain on and seeing if it runs right and if it doesn't run right with it all back together then the head has to come off. I went with that method because if I dont have to take the head off I would rather not since I am a little strapped for cash. I was thinking of just bolting the old pump back on and seeing if I get pressure with that. Trying to run the engine as little as possible till I get oil pressure, obviously.

i like cars

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,251
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2020, 07:09:46 PM »
When I replaced the head on my 22RE, it took longer to get oil pressure to register on the instrument cluster gauge than I thought it should.  I cranked the engine with the spark plugs removed, on a fully charged battery, and verified I had oil on the dip stick.  It took two crank session about 30 seconds each, and THAT is a long crank time!!  Oil pressure finally hit the gauge.

Keep in mind that cranking it with the starter is an RPM slower that what an idle RPM would be so oil pressure may not show as if it were idle at 850 or 900 RPMs.

A t-chain break at idle may not have caused a piston to smack a valve.  A compression check or leakdown test should tell you if there is any bent valves.

Did you prime the oil pump with oil or vaseline?

Did you crank it with the spark plugs removed?

How may seconds have you cranked it continuously?

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2020, 07:19:13 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2020, 07:34:05 PM »

When I replaced the head on my 22RE, it took longer to get oil pressure to register on the instrument cluster gauge than I thought it should.  I cranked the engine with the spark plugs removed, on a fully charged battery, and verified I had oil on the dip stick.  It took two crank session about 30 seconds each, and THAT is a long crank time!!  Oil pressure finally hit the gauge.

Keep in mind that cranking it with the starter is an RPM slower that what an idle RPM would be so oil pressure may not show as if it were idle at 850 or 900 RPMs.

A t-chain break at idle may not have caused a piston to smack a valve.  A compression check or leakdown test should tell you if there is any bent valves.

Did you prime the oil pump with oil or vaseline?

Did you crank it with the spark plugs removed?

How may seconds have you cranked it continuously?

Gnarls.

I did not prime the pump. I bought an lce double roller kit. The instructions for their pro pump are to not prime or pack it.

I cranked it with the distributor unplugged for about 30 seconds and then plugged it back and fired it and let it run for 5 to 10 seconds. Did this probably 2 or 3 times. On the second time it ran almost normal for those ten seconds. Stopped because no oil pressure and I didnt want to hurt the motor.

I have not removed the plugs yet. I am scared to keep cranking it with how dry the oil filter was after it ran. I'm really new to this engine stuff so I dont know how many times it can run like that before permanent damage.

I even tried priming the filter with oil and that didnt do anything.

i like cars

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2020, 08:07:34 PM »
Did you get the spacers and oil pump engagement gears correctly installed on the snout of the crank?

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2020, 08:09:21 PM »
Did you get the spacers and oil pump engagement gears correctly installed on the snout of the crank?
I keep seeing people talking about spacers but idk what anyone is talking about. All that came off was the sprocket and the gear gor the pump and that's all that came with the kit. Am I supposed to space it???

i like cars

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2020, 08:47:02 PM »
I keep seeing people talking about spacers but idk what anyone is talking about. All that came off was the sprocket and the gear gor the pump and that's all that came with the kit. Am I supposed to space it???

This is the only good picture I have with the cover off

i like cars

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2020, 08:48:47 PM »
The dual row timing kit comes with a double-row tooth gear for the crank that's thicker/longer than than single row and a spline engagement spacer that's shorter/thinner than stock.

If the splined spacer is on backwards, no splines will engage the oil pump.

If the woodruff key is missing for the splined spacer the spacer may not spin with the crank, then not spin the oil pump.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2020, 03:58:55 AM »

Hmmmm.... I did not know that you can install the spacer backwards?

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2020, 04:06:02 AM »
How much oil is showing on the dipstick?

What weight oil did you put in?

What kind and part number of the new oil filter did you install?

How many miles on this engine?

If you have a fully charged battery with injector fuse pulled, coil wire disconnected, spark plugs removed, removed the rocker cover, and you spin the engine for about 1 minute, and you don't see any oil in the rocker rack or get oil pressure, there is an issue with the pump or the oil is not being picked up in the pan. 

Usually, for a timing chain to break on 22, the plastic chain guides need to fail.  If one fails, usually on the driver's side, the chain will slap against the timing cover and the noise at start up is very obvious.

When you pulled the oil pan did you find any pieces of chain or pieces of chain guide?

The oil flow on a 22 is from the oil pan pick up tube directly to the oil filter.  If the new oil filter is dry, then the oil is not being picked up from the pan.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2020, 04:36:52 AM by Gnarly4X »

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2020, 04:46:45 AM »

How much oil is showing on the dipstick?

What weight oil did you put in?

What kind and part number of the new oil filter did you install?

How many miles on this engine?

If you have a fully charged battery with injector fuse pulled, coil wire disconnected, spark plugs removed, removed the rocker cover, and you spin the engine for about 1 minute, and you don't see any oil in the rocker rack or get oil pressure, there is an issue with the pump or the oil is not being picked up in the pan. 

Usually, for a timing chain to break on 22, the plastic chain guides need to fail.  If one fails, usually on the driver's side, the chain will slap against the timing cover and the noise at start up is very obvious.

When you pulled the oil pan did you find any pieces of chain or pieces of chain guide?

The oil flow on a 22 is from the oil pan pick up tube directly to the oil filter.  If the new oil filter is dry, then the oil is not being picked up from the pan.

Gnarls.

The oil is slightly above full on the dipstick about 5 quarts
10w 30 is what I used
I used a pennzoil pz21 oil filter
almost 200k on the engine.
When I pulled the pan I got a ton of nasty broken bits of timing guide sheared off crank sprocket teeth and bits of the inside of the timing cover.

i like cars

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2020, 04:47:14 AM »
I am thinking about slapping the old pump on today and seeing if that is the problem

i like cars

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2020, 04:49:11 AM »

The dual row timing kit comes with a double-row tooth gear for the crank that's thicker/longer than than single row and a spline engagement spacer that's shorter/thinner than stock.

If the woodruff key is missing for the splined spacer the spacer may not spin with the crank, then not spin the oil pump.

The splines are facing out and had to be aligned with the pump for the pump to sea all the way. I would assume that means they are engaged. The woodruff key was there when I went to slip the spline on. Of course that doesn't mean it didnt fall of and I just didnt see if but I'm pretty sure it is there

i like cars

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2020, 05:16:12 AM »
I am thinking about slapping the old pump on today and seeing if that is the problem

The Toyota factory oil pump is very high quality oil pump.  I recently replaced the pump from the engnbldr kit with the original factory pump and it works perfect.

I am not a fan of the dual timing chains or the high pressure oil pumps for a basically stock engine.  In all 3 of my 22s, I never had any issues with oil pressure(the 1st two had an AutoMeter mechanical oil pressure gauge) and all of them were running the factory oil pumps.  I live in Arizona at between 1100 and 1500 feet elevation, and of course we have the 100+ temperatures during the summer season.

If you install the old oil pump, I recommend pouring some motor oil in the gears just enough to coat them. You don't want oil dripping out the gear cavity when you go to install it back onto the block.

What is your ambient air temperature right now?

Unless the engine has been sitting months before doing this t-chain replacement, I would not be overly concerned about spinning the engine to get oil pressure up and causing any damage.  If the engine starts and after a 30 seconds, you cannot see oil pressure, then I'd shut it off and find out what's going on.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2020, 05:29:12 AM by Gnarly4X »

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 2020, 06:45:30 AM »
The Toyota factory oil pump is very high quality oil pump.  I recently replaced the pump from the engnbldr kit with the original factory pump and it works perfect.

I am not a fan of the dual timing chains or the high pressure oil pumps for a basically stock engine.  In all 3 of my 22s, I never had any issues with oil pressure(the 1st two had an AutoMeter mechanical oil pressure gauge) and all of them were running the factory oil pumps.  I live in Arizona at between 1100 and 1500 feet elevation, and of course we have the 100+ temperatures during the summer season.

If you install the old oil pump, I recommend pouring some motor oil in the gears just enough to coat them. You don't want oil dripping out the gear cavity when you go to install it back onto the block.

What is your ambient air temperature right now?

Unless the engine has been sitting months before doing this t-chain replacement, I would not be overly concerned about spinning the engine to get oil pressure up and causing any damage.  If the engine starts and after a 30 seconds, you cannot see oil pressure, then I'd shut it off and find out what's going on.

Gnarls.
The engine has been sitting for about 3 weeks and I live in va the average temp is like 70 right now but can go up to 85 and down to 64

i like cars

90weight

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 468
  • Male Posts: 29
  • Member since Mar '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Oct 11, 2020, 08:31:02 AM »
From what I’ve read it seems like you weren’t far from being able to remove the head. With that kind of failure, I think I would have just pulled the head. With all the guess work and experimenting that’s happening, something is wrong, tear it down and find it, I read your strapped, I get it but it is probably one of the most inexpensive motors to rebuild. And it doesn’t sound like it’s your daily so take your time and buy parts when you can. I’ve done the same thing and ultimately ended up tearin em down, we have rebuilt several 22 r/re and we just kinda figured short cuts led nowhere... sorry, hope it works out well for you! Just my 2...
84 runner with all kinds of cool things and stuff.. all installed or fabricated by yours truly.. definitely built not bought.

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #17 on: Oct 11, 2020, 08:49:16 AM »
From what I’ve read it seems like you weren’t far from being able to remove the head. With that kind of failure, I think I would have just pulled the head. With all the guess work and experimenting that’s happening, something is wrong, tear it down and find it, I read your strapped, I get it but it is probably one of the most inexpensive motors to rebuild. And it doesn’t sound like it’s your daily so take your time and buy parts when you can. I’ve done the same thing and ultimately ended up tearin em down, we have rebuilt several 22 r/re and we just kinda figured short cuts led nowhere... sorry, hope it works out well for you! Just my 2...
Unfortunatley it is my daily. And if you she the pos I have to drive while this is down you would want it back on the road yesterday .

I really want to rebuild it but with cash being hard to come by I am just trying to get it on the road. If I'm gonna rebuild it I to do it right. This truck is going to be with me forever and I feel like in my current situation I will half ass something and make it harder later down the road.

i like cars

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #18 on: Oct 11, 2020, 08:52:39 AM »
Pulled the pump off and got confused. It looks like it had oil in it. But then I thought about the fact that I filled the filter with oil. Could this oil just be the drain back from the filter?

i like cars

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #19 on: Oct 11, 2020, 10:08:20 AM »

If the oil pump has oil in it, it is probably pumping.

Why do you believe there is no oil pressure?

I have a gut feeling you have plenty of pressure but whatever gauge you are looking is not working.

If you run the engine for 30 seconds and then remove the rocker cover and there fresh oil sitting in the head and all over the cam shaft and rockers.... it's pumping oil.

Why is the oil so dirty?  If you put in 5 quarts of fresh oil, it should be very fresh looking?

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #20 on: Oct 11, 2020, 10:14:22 AM »
Could this oil just be the drain back from the filter?

No... the oil from the oil filter will drain back into the pan.  Most oil filters have an anti-drain back feature, they don't usually work very long in my experience.  In other words, if I park my truck at 5pm, the next day when I go to change my oil and filter, the oil filter will have drained out whatever oil was in it when I shut the engine off at 5pm the day before... that's just my experience over the past 50 years or so.

Gnarls.

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #21 on: Oct 11, 2020, 10:34:51 AM »

I have a gut feeling you have plenty of pressure but whatever gauge you are looking is not working.

If you run the engine for 30 seconds and then remove the rocker cover and there fresh oil sitting in the head and all over the cam shaft and rockers.... it's pumping oil.

Why is the oil so dirty?  If you put in 5 quarts of fresh oil, it should be very fresh looking?

Gnarls.
I'm not sure why it is dirty. The oil on the stick and the oil in the pan is fresh. The only problem with checking for oil on the valves is that I put the oil in before bolting down valve cover and I kinda poured it all over the valves so there would be at least some lubrication up top before oil pressure. I will pull the cover and see if it is slinging oil though.
Do you think putting the old pump on just to see if that's the problem would be a good idea?

i like cars

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #22 on: Oct 11, 2020, 10:36:47 AM »

Gnarls.
Also the reason I believe there is no pressure is because the oil filter was bone dry after running it for 10 seconds multiple times.

i like cars

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #23 on: Oct 11, 2020, 11:08:25 AM »
Am I supposed to be able to see through the cover into the oil line here or is it supposed to look like this? The upper one can be seen through.

i like cars

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #24 on: Oct 11, 2020, 12:22:18 PM »
Put the old pump on and I have oil pressure. Now I just need to adjust timing and get lce to send me a new pump

i like cars

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 11, 2020, 12:39:22 PM »
With where you are at now, I would do a compression check, and see what you get.  No point in completing the assessmbly if you have a compression issue due to a bent valve.  Would also check the valve lash, and see if they need adjusting.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #26 on: Oct 11, 2020, 12:48:32 PM »
With where you are at now, I would do a compression check, and see what you get.  No point in completing the assessmbly if you have a compression issue due to a bent valve.  Would also check the valve lash, and see if they need adjusting.
Got it. Also to top that all off since I was already in there I decided to throw the new pump back in with the garuntee that the engine had some oil ran through it and it worked. I think I was just too scared to let it run long enough to do the work it needed to. I did notice that the dust cover was scraping the front of the old pump. I beat on it to see if that fixed it will update when I pull the snout off in a minute.

i like cars

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #27 on: Oct 11, 2020, 01:30:57 PM »
Checked if the cover was still scraping and it was not. Next step in compression test and then valve lash and then hopefully she will be back on the road. Will keep yall updated

i like cars

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #28 on: Oct 12, 2020, 07:34:44 AM »
From front to back 1st cylinder 3rd cylinder 4th cylinder
The 2nd was the same as the first i forgot to take that picture. Ginna start putting it all back together now once I get the timing right.
Any tips for timing these engines?

i like cars

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #29 on: Oct 12, 2020, 01:17:49 PM »
Got it timed and back on the road. Runs great! Thank yall for the help.

i like cars