Author Topic: '96 4runner 3rd member dirrect swap in my 1980 pickup axle?  (Read 2402 times)

ADVLion

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Oct '16
  • the dude yota's
    • View Profile
I found a spare set of axles to rebuild and weld all the fancy gussets and rock protection on which came with a auto-locking 4.11 in the rear, and no 3rd member up front. I currently have 3.9 gears and I'm about to do a moderate lift on 31" tires. It seems like the 4.11s will be a nice upgrade as well. I found a 3rd member for sale locally from a 4runner, the ad says 96-2001 when I asked 4cyl or V6 he just replied "should be the same"...  :headshake: I know they're interchangeable but different... I searched the forum and it seems this will bolt up to my '81 axle BUT... will my axle shafts work? will my drive shaft bolt up? is this a direct swap or will I need to order a parts kit and plan on a rebuild?

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
4runner 95-02 yes it is an 8", yes it will go in any 79-95 pickup housing that was an 8"(not a 7.5 2wd), and lastly your 81 rear axle is a narow track. If you use uour 81 housing with the 4runner diff you will need to use your axle shafts as well. 86-95 rear axle is 3" wider and have shafts that are 1.5" longer on each side. The 95.5 up 4 runner is 3 "wider that that so 6" wider than the 81.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

ADVLion [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '16
  • the dude yota's
    • View Profile
ok great, the axle shafts are still 30 spline. Good info, thanks Redneck! That means it'll work on the front too, except the flange which could be one of two Toyota bolt patterns I've learned from the forum.

ADVLion [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '16
  • the dude yota's
    • View Profile
Another snag, I'm starting in on the axle rebuild, I welded the gussets about six months ago now. I go to install new races in the knuckles tonight and they're about a 1/16" taller.... this is the marlin MCAX-1511 service kit, did I order the wrong kit? is this an upgrade?

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Another snag, I'm starting in on the axle rebuild, I welded the gussets about six months ago now. I go to install new races in the knuckles tonight and they're about a 1/16" taller.... this is the marlin MCAX-1511 service kit, did I order the wrong kit? is this an upgrade?

have you confirmed that they are ALL the way down
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

ADVLion [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '16
  • the dude yota's
    • View Profile
have you confirmed that they are ALL the way down

yes, I did a side by side comparison outside of the axle after I saw that the first one I installed was protruding more then the original.

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
yes, I did a side by side comparison outside of the axle after I saw that the first one I installed was protruding more then the original.

I would call them, best time is right when they open, I'm sure they will straighten it out for you
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

ADVLion [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '16
  • the dude yota's
    • View Profile
so then probably not an upgrade... whats another week or two? :hammerhead:

Thank you OVRAROK! I would have just kept searching and searching the forums

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I've had that on new koyo knuckle bearings. As long as the knuckle still goes on and it isn't too tight on the resistance when turning let it eat.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

ADVLion [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '16
  • the dude yota's
    • View Profile
Thanks Redneck! that's spot on, I gave the Marlin team a call a was assured that if the race goes in.... its the right bearing, just a new angle. I did check and the knuckle still goes on easy, just wasn't sure how it would work out with the shims and freaked out. Thanks guys!