Author Topic: Ext cab swap on single cab frame  (Read 4808 times)

Rock4Runner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Ext cab swap on single cab frame
« on: Feb 21, 2017, 03:35:25 PM »
Hello, I have an 84 single cab truck 4x4 can I swap a cab from 84 extend cab to my truck with out modified or add  the supports cab? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are not victory without sacrifice!

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Ext cab swap on single cab frame
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2017, 03:37:30 PM »
I did it with my 3rd gen. Look up my build. With second gens, you probably don't have to add a body lift to clear the fuel tank and frame rails though

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2017, 09:47:29 AM »
You will have to move the rear cab mounts. Front mounts at a pillar and core support are the same.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Rock4Runner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:10:16 AM »
I did it with my 3rd gen. Look up my build. With second gens, you probably don't have to add a body lift to clear the fuel tank and frame rails though

Nice  job

Rock4Runner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:12:34 AM »
You will have to move the rear cab mounts. Front mounts at a pillar and core support are the same.
How about the bed? I need to move the supports to?

Rock4Runner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:33:20 AM »
This is the deal about this truck. I buy this 84 truck factory solid axle, engine (unknown condition ) same the tranny, custom bed, axles as lockers( unknown brand)   I buy this truck for the axles for future axle swap, the  guy say truck as Lien holder on it so no big deal I just want the truck for parts.  When I was ready to pay for this truck the guy say he have the title. So I have the title I check a the DMV and no Lien  holders, no back fees clean title. But the truck cab are just empty, no dash or accessories just the steering column. And that's why a need to swap a good complete cab single or extra cab. Frame look ok wit just surface rust.  I know is pricey solid axle swap. Let see if I can upload pics of the cab or cabs.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2017, 12:00:41 PM »
How about the bed? I need to move the supports to?

I had to cut off the front bed mounts as well as relocate the rear cab mounts. Luckily the donor cab came with a frame, so cab mounts were cut off of the donor frame.

About the bed.. easiest way is to flatbed it. Most difficult way is what I'm doing: Bob the front of the bed. Lots of stuff to worry about, but instead of swapping on a stripped cab, I wish I would have built up everything inside the can except for the bucket seats before I swapped it on

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Rock4Runner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2017, 03:45:51 PM »
I'm debating my self I found two trucks same year as my both factory EFI. One single cab completed was running bad head gasket.  Second truck ext cab the guy strip most the truck but all parts are there.
I like little more the ext cab. 
84 Single cab
84 ext cab
this truck need timing change.
And finally this my project truck 84 solid axle
Somebody build a tube bed little short bed.

Rock4Runner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:06:45 PM »
Little update: Two local junk yards have trucks same year like my but not good at all and little expense and mission lot of item from the cabs.

79chevy39.5s

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 197
  • Member since Dec '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2017, 08:30:19 PM »
Bed has to be modified(bobbed in front) front bed mount needs to be cut off and body lift is needed because the horse collar (mine was a 4runner frame) and the rear mount needs moved.

Rock4Runner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2017, 09:05:34 AM »
Bed has to be modified(bobbed in front) front bed mount needs to be cut off and body lift is needed because the horse collar (mine was a 4runner frame) and the rear mount needs moved.
Thanks for the info, already have an single cab 2w  I'm planing to swap cab or swap just all the components and keep my cab!