Author Topic: 22re fan clutch and water pump.  (Read 6140 times)

MilesGC1999

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 39
  • Male Posts: 114
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
22re fan clutch and water pump.
« on: Feb 09, 2017, 06:31:11 AM »
So, I am going to be replacing my fan clutch in my 94 Toyota pickup 4x4. I have read that when you replace a fan clutch that is going out it is a good idea to replace the water pump. What do you guys think? What parts should do you recommend?
i like cars

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: 22re fan clutch and water pump.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2017, 06:55:40 AM »
Hey Spooky...

Unless the water pump is leaking coolant or making a noise, I would not replace the water pump just because I'm replacing the fan clutch.

Regarding the water pump... remember to maintain fresh coolant per recommended maintenance periods.  The coolant helps to lubricate the water pump, which helps prevent early water pump shaft failure.

Has the fan clutch failed?

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2017, 07:55:25 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:47:37 AM »
Hey Spooky...

Unless the water pump is leaking coolant or making a noise, I would not replace the water just because I'm replacing the fan clutch.

Regarding the water pump... remember to maintain fresh coolant per recommended maintenance periods.  The coolant helps to lubricate the water pump, which helps prevent early water pump shaft failure.

Has the fan clutch failed?

Gnarls.
Ok, my fan is starting to fail. Don't want it to fAil when I don't have time to fix. So I am replacing it. Can't be breaking down on the way to school or work.
i like cars

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2017, 08:49:12 AM »
When you have the fan off spin the water pump and feel the bearing. If it feels gritty or loose replace it.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2017, 10:22:49 AM »
Not sure if I'm playing the devil's advocate or not, but I swapped in an electric fan about a year ago.

If I'm traveling over 20mph, even in the summer, my fan doesn't turn on, and temp stays dead center.

So don't worry if your fan clutch goes out. Just keep on driving, pushing air through your radiator. I can sit through 5 blocks of stop lights before it barely starts to rise above half way.

Good luck though 👍

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2017, 12:48:39 PM »
Never heard of that recommendation for a 22re, more common is the water pump when you do the timing belt on a 3.0 due to having to remove it to replace the belt.

When you have the fan off spin the water pump and feel the bearing. If it feels gritty or loose replace it.
This, otherwise only replace when it is leaking, or if you are doing a complete rebuild and want all new parts.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2017, 01:16:04 PM »
Not sure if I'm playing the devil's advocate or not, but I swapped in an electric fan about a year ago.

If I'm traveling over 20mph, even in the summer, my fan doesn't turn on, and temp stays dead center.

So don't worry if your fan clutch goes out. Just keep on driving, pushing air through your radiator. I can sit through 5 blocks of stop lights before it barely starts to rise above half way.

Good luck though 👍

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Although there are applications where converting to electric fan(s) may be a good option, and there are guys who say they work really good, and this discussion has been around...

In all 3 of my 22s, living here in sunny AZ - summer time ambients often go up to 115+d F , I have never had an overheating issue unless the thermostat failed, or the water pump went out and leaked coolant before I realized what happened.  I've pulled a 21ft ski boat on tandem trailer in July, and never had an issue with coolant temperature with stock radiator and stock fan clutch.

The fan clutch is about $40 from O'Reilly's.  The cheapest electric fan is about $100, and the high quality ones go up to almost $300.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2017, 01:18:48 PM »
Although there are applications where converting to electric fan(s) may be a good option, and there are guys who say they work really good, and this discussion has been around...

In all 3 of my 22s, living here in sunny AZ - summer time ambients often go up to 115+d F , I have never had an overheating issue unless the thermostat failed, or the water pump went out and leaked coolant before I realized what happened.  I've pulled a 21ft ski boat on tandem trailer in July, and never had an issue with coolant temperature.

The fan clutch is about $40 from O'Reilly's.  The cheapest electric fan is about $100, and they high quality ones go up to almost $300.

Gnarls.
So should I just get a clutch from an auto parts store?
i like cars

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2017, 01:21:46 PM »
So should I just get a clutch from an auto parts store?

I would buy one from NAPA, O'Reilly's, or Autozone, etc.  I have a brand new one from O'Reilly's, I'm about to install.

Gnarls.

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2017, 01:22:20 PM »
I would buy one from NAPA, O'Reilly's, or Autozone, etc.

Gnarls.
Ok, thanks.
i like cars

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2017, 01:26:40 PM »
I have to pull the radiator to swap one in my 1986.

Gnarls.

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2017, 01:29:11 PM »
I have to pull the radiator to swap one in my 1986.

Gnarls.
The fan clutch? I don't think it will be hard with this one. A lot of room in front.
i like cars

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2017, 02:20:51 PM »
You can pull the fan without moving the radiator. When mine started to go I just ordered up new oil from Toyota and let the old drain out and put the new in.

MilesGC1999 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
  • Suuuuhh dude
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2017, 02:56:57 PM »
You can pull the fan without moving the radiator. When mine started to go I just ordered up new oil from Toyota and let the old drain out and put the new in.
Oil for the fan?
i like cars

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »
:yesnod:  it isn't cheap, but I would rather keep my toyota parts than get one from an auto parts store.  Or you can do a little looking online and find an inexpensive aisin or advics unit
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2017, 08:10:52 PM »
Yep, you can replace the viscous fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjhKr5usjaA

I'll just buy a new one.    :thumbs:

On mine the clutch function was OK, the shaft was wobbling.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2017, 01:43:47 AM by Gnarly4X »