Author Topic: heater control cable  (Read 9652 times)

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -196
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
heater control cable
« on: Apr 08, 2015, 03:41:19 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how to replace the blue cable that goes from the heater valve to the control panel on my 84 pickup. I've searched around but haven't been able to find anywhere showing or telling how to remove the white clip that holds this cable to the control panel. Not really looking for how to get to it, I just want to have a better idea of how that clip works so I can hopefully release it without breaking  anything.

Thanks

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: heater control cable
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2015, 03:58:12 PM »
Having not seen one in quite some time, it is flat on the bottom of the clip and the top is flat but has a 90 degree bend down to where it snaps together?  I believe the vertical piece snaps together where it meets the bottom?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

84Flatbed [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2015, 04:08:55 PM »
Having not seen one in quite some time, it is flat on the bottom of the clip and the top is flat but has a 90 degree bend down to where it snaps together?  I believe the vertical piece snaps together where it meets the bottom?

Hmm, wish  I would have looked last time at the junk yard. Looking through the ash tray area I can only see that it clamps down over the sheething and is held tightly to the control panel. Can't see how to release it.

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2015, 05:37:31 PM »
pic?
If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.

84Flatbed [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2015, 08:27:37 PM »
Nah, I'm not going to pull the ash tray mount right now to take a pic. Anyone who can help me with this clip will know because they have removed the control panel or cables before. There really isnt much to it, the outside of the cables are held to the control panel by the clip and then the inner wire hooks onto to the control lever.

Maybe the clips can't be removed without breaking them, the only write ups I can find involve replacing the whole panel with cables attached.

tgmaul88

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 985
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Im still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2015, 10:16:35 PM »
It can be done with a small flat head screw drivrr

84Flatbed [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2015, 11:28:29 PM »
It can be done with a small flat head screw drivrr

Just pry straight up  between the clip and cable? All of it is plastic so it's pretty sketchy.

tgmaul88

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 985
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Im still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2015, 10:00:32 AM »
Just be careful they just push down in and clip. Release clip and pop up

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2015, 09:52:48 PM »
Nah, I'm not going to pull the ash tray mount right now to take a pic. Anyone who can help me with this clip will know because they have removed the control panel or cables before. There really isnt much to it

Honestly, this right here kinda reads like you are too lazy to go do what needs to be done yourself.  Most of us learned by just doing.  Pretty sure I ruined a clip when removing the first one maybe 20 years ago, but I figured it out pretty quick after that.  I've pulled mine apart in the past, but I honestly haven't been inside the dash in so many years that I'm going off memory.  It should come apart as I said, but I believe there's the same type of clip on the heater control valve in the engine bay that you could more easily see.  The flat bottom portion should have a notch or detent, or the top piece might be such tight spring steel that it is held in place without a notch.  But either way, the flat bottom and top portions just unclip from each other and the cable slides out sideways.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

84Flatbed [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2015, 10:34:34 PM »
Honestly, this right here kinda reads like you are too lazy to go do what needs to be done yourself.  Most of us learned by just doing.  Pretty sure I ruined a clip when removing the first one maybe 20 years ago, but I figured it out pretty quick after that.  I've pulled mine apart in the past, but I honestly haven't been inside the dash in so many years that I'm going off memory.  It should come apart as I said, but I believe there's the same type of clip on the heater control valve in the engine bay that you could more easily see.  The flat bottom portion should have a notch or detent, or the top piece might be such tight spring steel that it is held in place without a notch.  But either way, the flat bottom and top portions just unclip from each other and the cable slides out sideways.

Has nothing to do with being lazy, it's just not THAT important to me, I will not take my whole dash apart just to replace this cable. I have plenty of other projects to do on this truck. But I can see the cable and clip through the ash tray, it's tight but if it was possible to get the clip off from there I would do it.

I know you said it's been 20 years since you've messed with the heater control panel but the clip is nothing like the one on the heater valve, this one is plastic, not metal and shaped completely different.

84Flatbed [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2015, 10:52:37 PM »
I think the best thing for me to do is go to the junk yard, take a closer look and attempt to remove a clip. Should be a few there with the dashes already ripped open or control panel hanging out.

84Flatbed [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2015, 03:36:34 PM »
Stopped by the wrecking yard, even without caring if anything broke that little clip did not want to let go. I pryed on it agressivly with a screw driver and vise grips, it eventually came out but I wouldnt dare try that on my own rig. The least damaging way would be from the top but I would have to remove the top of the dash to get there. At least I know now. I might try to cut it free and just put another clip on, that I could do through the ash tray, I think.

Here's a couple pics.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2015, 08:03:41 PM »
That is way different than mine.  I'd hafta see one in person again.  Might still have some 86 ac parts w/cables and hvac controls floating around somewhere, hafta watch for them next time I'm digging in the garage and see what it takes to pull apart without breaking.
RIP KYOTA

84Flatbed [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2015, 08:38:41 PM »
It's actually not too difficult from the back side of the clip, a small screwdriver like tgmaul88 said in the right spots will free it up. In my case I would have to dig into the dash to get to that side for the blue cable.
In the first pic, middle of pic you can see the two white pieces, thats the bottom of a clip holding another cable on the top of the panel. Anyway that's where the screwdriver would be used to release them.

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 175
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2015, 09:40:02 PM »
Funny, I need to do this exact same thing on my '84.

I got a cable, clip, and heater valve off an '87 2WD, it's all the same.

Only now I've lost the clip and I'm really ticked about that because the only way to get the clip out without risking breaking anything is from the top, and you can't get to the top of the heater controls without taking a bunch of other stuff apart.  I was just going to cut the old clip with some wire cutters but now I might have to reuse it...

If you can get to the top of the heater control, getting the clip out is pretty easy with a small flat blade screwdriver.

That one clip on the heater controls is the only clip holding that cable in place on my truck.  I intend to tape the new cable to the end of the old one and just use the old one to pull the new one through the dash, just like fishing wire through a wall.
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100651.new#new
Parts Wanted:

- Un-cracked dash pad (do they exist?)

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 12, 2015, 10:10:33 PM »
Hopefully after all is said and done, there is a better (clip) way to secure that BLUE cable.  (Ziptie?  FTW!!!!)
If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.

84Flatbed [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 13, 2015, 09:36:04 AM »
Funny, I need to do this exact same thing on my '84.

I got a cable, clip, and heater valve off an '87 2WD, it's all the same.

Only now I've lost the clip and I'm really ticked about that because the only way to get the clip out without risking breaking anything is from the top, and you can't get to the top of the heater controls without taking a bunch of other stuff apart.  I was just going to cut the old clip with some wire cutters but now I might have to reuse it...

If you can get to the top of the heater control, getting the clip out is pretty easy with a small flat blade screwdriver.

That one clip on the heater controls is the only clip holding that cable in place on my truck.  I intend to tape the new cable to the end of the old one and just use the old one to pull the new one through the dash, just like fishing wire through a wall.

Where are you located? I have an extra clip, it's the first one that I messed with to see if it would come out from the bottom so it's a kinda beat up but it might still work for you. Let me know if you want it.

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 175
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 13, 2015, 06:00:44 PM »
Hopefully after all is said and done, there is a better (clip) way to secure that BLUE cable.  (Ziptie?  FTW!!!!)

I don't know how well a zip-tie would work.  The blue cable has a groove in it that matches up with a ridge on the inside of the clip.  this is what secures the outer jacket of the cable so that the wire can slide inside when the lever's moved, rather than the whole thing moving.  If you could zip-tie it tight enough it might work, but getting the zip tie through the slots the clip fits into would be another hassle since you'd still have to get to the top of the heater controls.   Hmmmm....   some bailing wire might work better as it might fit into the groove on the cable and you can bend the end into a U-shape so you could feed it up through one side of the clip hole and then pull it back down through the other side.

Where are you located? I have an extra clip, it's the first one that I messed with to see if it would come out from the bottom so it's a kinda beat up but it might still work for you. Let me know if you want it.

Well that's mighty nice of you, thanks.  I'm in Seattle.  PM incoming.
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100651.new#new
Parts Wanted:

- Un-cracked dash pad (do they exist?)

cabot

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Aug '12
    • View Profile
    • LerueTattoo.com
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 07:52:56 PM »
Those clips are a awful. They are available new. I just ordered some and that cable.

TheeMikeB

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Member since Aug '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 17, 2015, 01:30:08 PM »
Totally... when I swapped mine out, I had a hell of a time and ended up breaking it. I was able to save/salvage it using a zip tie.. so far so good.

woodyth

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 86
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #20 on: Aug 23, 2015, 06:15:34 AM »
Just want to say thanks for posting this, I've been at this for about an hour(replacing the blue wire) and was stumped. I don't think enough people say thanks for the information that is shared around here. I think one of those pocket screwdrivers would work well, now to find one!

jasonnorcal

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '23
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2023, 05:35:43 PM »
I know this is a necro post, but I just wanted to say thank you for the picture of that stupid white clip. I'm trying to replace my heater control cable and couldn't figure how to get that thing off without breaking anything.