Author Topic: ARB 90 Degree Solenoid Adapter  (Read 6664 times)

redwolf3

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 39
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
ARB 90 Degree Solenoid Adapter
« on: Dec 19, 2016, 09:38:02 PM »
Tried to search on this but I haven't had much luck with what I'm looking for.

I recently installed an ARB Air Locker along with one of their compact pumps. The pump is installed under the hood of my '85 4Runner, but space is a little bit tight. I'm wondering if anyone knows of or has installed a 90 degree adapter on the output of the solenoid valves to change the exit angle for the push-in line? This will allow me to run the line without having to put any significant kinks in it, which sounds like it is the preferred method.

I saw that MC has a 90 degree fitting that looks like it might work, but it explicitly says it is for the exhaust side.

If there is no drop-in replacement, is anyone aware of what thread size the solenoid valve output is? I believe it may be a 1/8 BSPT fitting, but I couldn't find any information on the ARB website or literature to confirm this.

Thanks!

Ritchie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 539
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
Re: ARB 90 Degree Solenoid Adapter
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2016, 05:11:36 AM »
I have one on the exhaust side solenoid for the rear locker.  The exhaust & output ports should be the same thread.
I don't see why it wouldn't work as the straight fitting does.

I'd try it in your case.  Worse case scenario is it won't but can't hurt to try.

Give it a shot.
'03 Step side Pre-runner, F/R 4WU 3 linked, F/R Diamond axles, F/R ARB's w/5.29's, F/R Fox 12" CO's, ShrockWorks front bumper, self made rear bumper, WARN M8000S w/ remote, 4.7 Inchworm Lefty, MC sliders that hold air & a bunch of other stuff.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2016, 05:36:53 AM »
Is there not enough room to tilt the whole compressor to the side?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

redwolf3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2016, 05:48:45 AM »
Ritchie-
That may be the route I have to go. I guess I can always buy 2 and save one for the exhaust port on the rear locker (if I ever add one).

ExCabSwap-
Not in my case, I'm also trying to add a fuse panel and a few other things in the same location (not a lot of room under the hood in my 85).

I could mount the fuse panel on the other side, but I don't like the idea of running a big power wire all the way across the engine bay, just to run it all back again.

TBH: I was hoping this would be a fairly common use case, but I guess I was wrong. That would explain why I couldn't find any other examples of anyone having tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2016, 06:13:49 AM »
Are you in WA by chance?

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

redwolf3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2016, 06:34:01 AM »
No, sorry. I'm located in CA.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2016, 07:40:54 AM »
I've got a friend who works at ARB.. I'll ask him

redwolf3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2016, 07:44:38 AM »
That would be cool, thanks man.

I sent ARB an email as well, but haven't heard anything back yet.

I'm sure I'm way overthinking this whole thing, but I like things to fit a certain way. If I'm doing a trail repair, I don't care, but if I'm building it fresh I get a bit OCD, haha.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2016, 12:23:43 PM »
Just for reference, here's where I installed my compressor. It's on the driver's side, next to the clutch master. Agreed not much room in these old trucks..

Ritchie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 539
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2017, 02:32:49 PM »
Redwolf,
Any luck/ progress with the solenoid adapter?
'03 Step side Pre-runner, F/R 4WU 3 linked, F/R Diamond axles, F/R ARB's w/5.29's, F/R Fox 12" CO's, ShrockWorks front bumper, self made rear bumper, WARN M8000S w/ remote, 4.7 Inchworm Lefty, MC sliders that hold air & a bunch of other stuff.

redwolf3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2017, 04:03:19 PM »
Redwolf,
Any luck/ progress with the solenoid adapter?

I haven't actually had time to mess with it yet. Right after the last post I got a nasty infection that I'm still fighting. Hoping to be over it soon though.

redwolf3 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2017, 07:30:02 AM »
Just for reference, here's where I installed my compressor. It's on the driver's side, next to the clutch master. Agreed not much room in these old trucks..

ExCabSwab:
Your setup is similar to mine, except I wanted (or chose) to install the compressor on my passenger side fender. I wanted to keep the wiring and hosing as short as possible, and at the time this seemed like the prudent choice. In looking at my engine compartment, I'm not really sure I need the adapters anymore as I was able to clock the pump enough so that it clears the hood.

I ended up rotating it 45 degrees clockwise so it is now facing the upper intake which seems to have cured most of my clearance concerns. Despite that, I went ahead and ordered 2 of Marlin's 90 Degree Exhaust adapters, just because I'm curious if they will work (and extra clearance never hurt anyone). If they do work, cool, if not, I'll just use them for redirecting the solenoid exhaust.

Here's where mine is currently installed (before rotating it):

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2017, 11:39:59 PM »
lemme know if they work :D I NEED to reroute my exhaust somewhere else.. everything is getting covered with oil..

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:34:45 AM »
lemme know if they work :D I NEED to reroute my exhaust somewhere else.. everything is getting covered with oil..
That's a sign of a bigger problem? :help:
Oil should not be coming out the exhaust port.  :slap:
suspect Leaking O-rings in your air locker.  :down:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:58:13 AM »
That's a sign of a bigger problem? :help:
Oil should not be coming out the exhaust port.  :slap:
suspect Leaking O-rings in your air locker.  :down:
I don't think they're leaking. My compressor holds pressure for longer than almost any other I've seen. Holds for a few minutes before turning on again...

Still, I'll call up 4wp and ask.. it's still under the extrended warranty. Thanks for the heads up.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:18:22 AM »
Skank's holds over night. Thats Impressive, Its less than a year old.
When I got My truck the compressor would kick on about every 20min just for a second. I replaced the o rings in the air locker and now Mine holds for hours. I have installed an autometer air pressure gauge on My pillar so I can monitor it. Love it!
I have never seen a drip of oil from the exhaust.
I have repaired this issue on another air locker. O rings cured the issue.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:23:34 AM »
Thanks