Author Topic: 3.4 to w56 questions (i know it has been discussed a million times)  (Read 1863 times)

Mrdietsch430

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
OK first off i know this has been discussed a million times but i have some questions. Every thread i have found states that the 3.4 has too much power and the w56 wont survive. This just doesn't make sense to be since everyone will sell you an adapter to go to a sb v8 and they do fine there with much more power. I just want to know why nobody really builds these adapters because i have a 5vz sitting here and want to swap out but dont want to get a different trans.

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Not sure what adapter you would need.  I feel like most 3.4 swaps happen in vehicles with the 3.0 anyways, so people just use the r150. 

Mrdietsch430 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I want to put one in my 88 that has a 22re. Since that trans is already there i want to use it. I have finally found a shop willing to make one custom for me. But i just want some insight as to why none of the adapter manufacturers produce one that i could just buy. The custom process is just going to be very time consuming and expensive the first time around. The shop may be willing to make more if mine works well and there is enough interest.

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
did they tell you a price?  is it going to be worth it instead of just buying a used r150 that is stronger?  I sold my old r150 and v6 adapter for $400.  :dunno:

Mrdietsch430 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
No they just said no they dont make one and have no interest in making one and to go buy another transmission. Everytime i mention the v8 adapters the only explanation i get is that they just wont work so they wont build me one. I just want want to know why. As mentioned i found someone willing to try so i already have my solution and if for some reason the trans does give up then im right back where i was looking for a different trans. Some money wasted of course but if it works as it should then i will have something that everyone else says is impossible.  Isnt that the whole point of mods, to make your vehicle more capable while also making it unique?

Mrdietsch430 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Or if you meant the shop willing to do the work, then no but i will be helping in the design of what i want and i wont be able to start on it until spring. Hopefully i can get some of my friends interested in a similar setup and work myself a deal.