Author Topic: IFS Rear Axle swap questions  (Read 8943 times)

immi.jfreeman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
IFS Rear Axle swap questions
« on: Jul 11, 2016, 06:24:06 AM »
Hello, I am building an 82 hilux crawler. I have swapped the front OEM axle for a Rock Assault axle with a +3" width. I am about to swap the rear for an IFS 86-95 axle for the extra width. My question is, is there a year or model truck/4runner that is best suited for my job? I have found an 87 4cyl 4runner for a donor. I am running 6cyl 5:29 diffs and ARB lockers which will be swapped to the new axle. I am running 39.5" IROKS on 16×8 aluminum Land Cruiser wheels. Thanks for any input.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Re: IFS Rear Axle swap questions
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2016, 07:11:35 AM »
What is the length of the trail gear garbage  :yupyup: from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface? All 86-95 rear IFS axles are 58.5" from WMS to WMS. According to the trail-mart website their rock assault housing comes 59" WMS to WMS. So when you say you got it with +3" width I'm assuming you mean you got 3 more inches than your 82's axle? If I've understood you correct then the axle from your 87 4Runner donor will match up with your new front axle.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2016, 07:12:15 AM »
The donor axle you have found will work perfect. I don't believe there is a better option than what you have found.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2016, 07:22:13 AM »
Here is the best resource I've found for information about our axles and differentials:

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

immi.jfreeman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2016, 10:03:58 AM »
Here is the best resource I've found for information about our axles and differentials:

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/
Ouch! SqWADoosh, that hurts. Kinda. A little. My wheelin buddy gave me a hard time too when I put it in. Something like " bought not built". I explained to him that after pulling the diff twice for gear  and locker upgrades, then 1 broken burffield, the 2 girl's travel softball practice( on different teams) the boy's football, wrestling and lacrosse, and the honey do list it was more time effective to replace the 35 year old stuff with store bought stuff. I have turned every wrench and fabbed every slider, winch mount and a flat bed. All jokes aside I appreciate y'all helping. Thanks a lot this is my 1st build. Lots of info here.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2016, 10:05:50 AM »
Ouch! SqWADoosh, that hurts. Kinda. A little. My wheelin buddy gave me a hard time too when I put it in. Something like " bought not built". I explained to him that after pulling the diff twice for gear  and locker upgrades, then 1 broken burffield, the 2 girl's travel softball practice( on different teams) the boy's football, wrestling and lacrosse, and the honey do list it was more time effective to replace the 35 year old stuff with store bought stuff. I have turned every wrench and fabbed every slider, winch mount and a flat bed. All jokes aside I appreciate y'all helping. Thanks a lot this is my 1st build. Lots of info here.

LOL I am just giving you a hard time. I just hate Trail-Gear. I gave bestgen :pokinit: when he bought their axles too.  :disturbed: The truck looks gnarly. Where are you out of?

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2016, 10:08:48 AM »
 :moon:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

immi.jfreeman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2016, 10:10:21 AM »
Thanks. I know it's fun my buddy is a Jeep guy so the jabs never stop with us. Spartanburg, South Carolina.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2016, 10:14:31 AM »
Thanks. I know it's fun my buddy is a Jeep guy so the jabs never stop with us. Spartanburg, South Carolina.

Right on. We need some more east coast guys on here.

immi.jfreeman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2016, 02:19:57 PM »

Got my IFS rear axle today. Since Trail Gear is "da Debul". Any suggestions on a good rear disc set? I plan to use a fj80 master cylinder maybe from Marlin. Also looking at line locks to replace e brake duty. Thanks ahead of time.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2016, 03:03:09 PM »

Got my IFS rear axle today. Since Trail Gear is "da Debul". Any suggestions on a good rear disc set? I plan to use a fj80 master cylinder maybe from Marlin. Also looking at line locks to replace e brake duty. Thanks ahead of time.

https://www.allprooffroad.com/pickupbrakeupgrades/255

immi.jfreeman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2016, 10:19:57 AM »
My son and I finished the IFS axle swap yesterday. Everything went pretty good. I added disc brakes from All-Pro, a 1" block to help get rid of that dang "Carolina squat" It picked up when I changed the front axle, and built a make shift bracket to relocate my brake proportioning valve rod. The previous owner jacked the truck up a few inches and bent the rod to bolt it back up. What effect does the prop. valve have on my braking? How can adjusting it up and down the bracket help or hurt my braking? Also any tips on hiding the braided lines and tubing would be welcome. It's starting to look like a bird nest under there.Thanks for any info.

john90lux

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Member since Oct '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2016, 01:38:50 PM »
You should have hard piped it across the housing and only beaded hose where it neededs to move,
You'll lose brake pressure due to expansion with that much braded hose

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2016, 01:44:57 PM »
I would cut that lspv off, zip tie the little piece after you cut .Look up lpsv mod. Some guys have an adjustment, I eliminated mine altogether
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2016, 02:32:40 PM »
sick honda exhaust :gap:
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

immi.jfreeman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 30, 2016, 02:44:37 PM »
I would cut that lspv off, zip tie the little piece after you cut .Look up lpsv mod. Some guys have an adjustment, I eliminated mine altogether
I did some web research and I think you're right about the lspv removal. The disc brake kit from All-Pro came with the braided lines and instructions to attach them to the tee splitting the steel lines left and right. Removing the factory steel lines. The only complaint is the lack of swivel ability in the lines. It makes for an aggravating twist in the lines. I have a braided line running from the outlet side of the lspv that will make bypassing extremely easy. As far as brake pressure goes, my slam the brakes like some ones life depended on it test was satisfying. It came to a fairly quick stop while locking up and sliding my rear 39.5s about 6". I would like to clean up some of the underside and a lspv removal would be the first step in that. It's not a DD but I do want it to be safe as I have kids coming to drivin age and they can't wait to drive it. Thanks

immi.jfreeman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 30, 2016, 02:52:50 PM »
sick honda exhaust :gap:
Thanks, that was a spur o the moment thing. The muffler was rotten and the cat was choking the truck to death. It doesn't sound bad, kinda gotta deep sound. I was worried that it would sound like I needed a spoiler. Sounds real good when I'm on the skinny pedal.