Author Topic: Man Rolls FJ 250 Feet Down Mountain in Coloardo  (Read 4329 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,059
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Lucky SOB right there.

fasterspider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
He was in a Toyota is why he walked away unscathed.  :biggthumpup:
fasterspider, now older and slower.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Damn lucky. This is also a reason I no longer use the stock belts.
Time to go wheelin!

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
He was in a Toyota is why he walked away unscathed.  :biggthumpup:

Don't fool yourself. Our trucks kill people in rollovers same as anything else.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Snow on a shelf road should almost always be the end of the road.  One of the pictures made it look like he landed on a lower part of the road or possibly it was taken after recovery.

Admittedly, I was entertained that a snorkel was listed in the description of his build.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Don't fool yourself. Our trucks kill people in rollovers same as anything else.

I think I'd take a roll in an FJ over a Wrangler, but staying wheels down is always better.  I just can't believe that he didn't figure out a way to get the seatbelt working.  I would expect there to be a way to release them.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Snow on a shelf road should almost always be the end of the road.
With sections like he was on, my buddies and i will cut a trench on the uphill tire side, it helps to level out the COG and locks the uphill tires in, preventing what happened to the FJ.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
With sections like he was on, my buddies and i will cut a trench on the uphill tire side, it helps to level out the COG and locks the uphill tires in, preventing what happened to the FJ.

It's not been since I was a kid, but my dad and the other families have done this a time or two as well.

My great grandpa was an avid fisherman and was often the first one on several of the lakes each spring.  He drove a beat up 2wd Chevy truck that he used a hammer to bang out the dents.  My dad says that he used a bar that he'd drive into the ground so that he could winch to it and would open the road to the lake one length of the winch at a time.  I guess this is another tactic to get through the snow...

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
My great grandpa was an avid fisherman and was often the first one on several of the lakes each spring.  He drove a beat up 2wd Chevy truck that he used a hammer to bang out the dents.  My dad says that he used a bar that he'd drive into the ground so that he could winch to it and would open the road to the lake one length of the winch at a time.  I guess this is another tactic to get through the snow...
Must ave been some tasty fish in that lake. :greengrin:

For my friends and I it started out as a solution for one particular corner that with spring sun would melt the snow on the inside corner, creating a 1/2 bowl around a large pin tree, and the outer edge was a guaranteed rollover if you slid off that side.  Back then we were all running 31-33's w/open diffs, and during late spring trips we could spend a couple of hours getting rigs through that section, by dropping into the bowl then shove and recovery strap our way out the other side providing we got the first rig though.  Like most, my buddies didn't like the idea of digging w/o being stuck, but once we tried it and and they seen how much less effort it was, we started using it on sections that we usually turned back from due to high risk of injury/death if the one end slipped off like what happened to FJ.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod