Author Topic: Dual transfer case cross member  (Read 6974 times)

MUD000

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Jun '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Trail Track 4x4
Dual transfer case cross member
« on: May 19, 2016, 01:31:55 PM »
Hi everyone I have a marlin rotated dual ultimate case & after some ideas on how you have mounted them ? Pictures of your crossmember would be great. Do you put mounts on the front & rear or just the rear. Is their anyone who makes a crossmember that suits a rotated tc on an 84 extra cab pickup
Cheers Dan

jangelfire

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Dual transfer case cross member
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 10:00:20 PM »
I bought the fail gear one and made a wedge out of 1/2" steel so it mounted flush.you need to run both mounts and I recommend getting two of the bomb proof ones from fail gear.i ran a bomb proof on the rear case and a stock mount on the front and the stocker only lasted a year.i just came in from the shop from changing it out to a bomber.bud built makes a cross member for the 10 degree rotated adapter but he pissed me off on the phone so i bought the one from tg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 06:19:16 AM »
I think Off Road Solutions has a rotated cross member and it sounds like Bud Built does as well.

I just recently got a traction bar from Bud Built and ignoring the fitment issues on my 4Runner his communication and customer service was excellent.

If you don't get a matching cross member you lose the clearance gained by rotating the case.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

jangelfire

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 06:59:25 AM »

If you don't get a matching cross member you lose the clearance gained by rotating the case.

Wrong! The 10 degree case rotation gives you drive line clearance not t case clearance

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 07:07:15 AM »
Wrong! The 10 degree case rotation gives you drive line clearance not t case clearance

You're absolutely correct that by raising the driveline you'll get more driveline clearance, but I thought the 10 degree rotation also raised the low point of the t-case a bit and that with the right cross member you could gain a little belly clearance.

jangelfire

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 07:11:17 AM »
You're absolutely correct that by raising the driveline you'll get more driveline clearance, but I thought the 10 degree rotation also raised the low point of the t-case a bit and that with the right cross member you could gain a little belly clearance.
The skid plate still mounts in the same location so you dont gain any ground clearance and the rear driveline is still a problem.ive retubed my rear dl 4 times in the last year from bashing it on rocks.the only solution i can see for the rear is a 4 link so you hit the links instead of the drive line

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 07:57:57 AM »
.ive retubed my rear dl 4 times in the last year from bashing it on rocks.the only solution i can see for the rear is a 4 link so you hit the links instead of the drive line
What are you wheeling? I went to a 1-piece DL on my ex-cab, bent 3 in a season. Went back to a 2-piece no more problems, I made my own center bearing mount and use a "pillow Block" bearing instead of the POS stock bearing.

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 10:20:45 AM »
The skid plate still mounts in the same location so you dont gain any ground clearance and the rear driveline is still a problem.ive retubed my rear dl 4 times in the last year from bashing it on rocks.the only solution i can see for the rear is a 4 link so you hit the links instead of the drive line

The FROR plate bolts directly to the case and not the frame so is also at the 10 degree angle. It's a two piece design so it should also rotate the plate up with the rotation. I think you have the TG one like mine (mine is from when Marlin sold them) and because the support and plate are one piece it wouldn't make any difference.

Bud Built told me that he uses his traction bar as a skid to protect his driveshaft. You might look into a traction bar since it should be easier than links.

MUD000 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Trail Track 4x4
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 03:53:23 AM »
The FROR crossmember would that give you drive line vibration as its solid mounted then only rubber on the outside chassis mount. I've email bud built await g a reply

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 09:17:36 AM »
The FROR crossmember would that give you drive line vibration as its solid mounted then only rubber on the outside chassis mount. I've email bud built await g a reply

My buddy, CrankyCrawler, runs the FROR and doesn't have any vibration from it.  Just an FYI.

I am double checking just to make sure that I'm giving good info...

MUD000 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Trail Track 4x4
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 10:38:06 PM »
Thanks for that black diamond

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 06:14:29 AM »
Thanks for that black diamond

He does have the FROR crossmember. The only downside to the design is that the skid plate bolts directly to the t-case as does the crossmember so any load gets transferred through the t-case. He hasn't had any issues and said it sits high enough it rarely touches it.

jangelfire

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 07:46:56 AM »
What are you wheeling? I went to a 1-piece DL on my ex-cab, bent 3 in a season. Went back to a 2-piece no more problems, I made my own center bearing mount and use a "pillow Block" bearing instead of the POS stock bearing.

My driveline is a one piece.we wheel lots of gnarly trails like montrose colorado and area bfe so I guess its to be expected.we do alot of night wheeling so that helps with the carnage factor too.lol