Author Topic: What dual case adapter do I need  (Read 3105 times)

D-Wreck

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
What dual case adapter do I need
« on: Jul 11, 2016, 11:22:05 PM »
Got a 95 4runner. Was curious what adapter I need for dual case. Was curious if somebody could point me in the right direction of figuring it out? I've never done dual cases so I have no clue where to start. I have herd using top shift t-cases are better but not sure why that is. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,523
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Re: What dual case adapter do I need
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2016, 05:48:09 AM »
Got a 95 4runner. Was curious what adapter I need for dual case. Was curious if somebody could point me in the right direction of figuring it out? I've never done dual cases so I have no clue where to start. I have herd using top shift t-cases are better but not sure why that is. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch

what motor is in your 4runner? this will help narrow it down
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

D-Wreck [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2016, 09:13:41 PM »
22re 4cyl. I'm not sure what t-case is in, I'm not sure how to tell the difference

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2016, 06:17:31 AM »
22re 4cyl. I'm not sure what t-case is in, I'm not sure how to tell the difference

your going to need a top shift t case for the rear. to find out what you have, you should be able to look at where t case shifter is located, if is attached to the transmission, its a fwd shift t case. if the shifter is located on the t case. its a top shift. as far as an adapter, most people run a standard, non rotated adapter. I would hunt down a second t case(top shift). top shift t case seem to be harder to find then a fwd shift. they do make a top shift conversion kit as well, which might be another option. also, are you planning on running stock 2.28 gears?. when I first did duals, I ran 2.28 in both t cases. your still going to need dual cross member, your going to need to have rear drive shaft shortened, and front made longer, a speedo extension. I didn't use one as I was able make stock speedo work. the adapters come in 21 or 23 spline, this is why you want to find second case first to identify what spline you have, I was lucky enough to find 23 spline for rear. later down the road I purchased MC 4.7 23 spline gears, spent a half day swapping gears in rear case, good luck.... duals are probably the best single thing you can do to increase your crawling fun

jangelfire

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2016, 07:40:56 AM »
I guess the search option is busted again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

immi.jfreeman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2016, 11:23:27 AM »
My search button works! It found this conversation. I am also thinking about stacking t-cases in my 4cyl 82 truck. I have the opportunity to buy a t-case from an 88 V6 4runner. It is a top shift according to your description. Being that it is coming from a V6 would It be a 23 spline also? My questions are, would I be able to use it in my 82? What do I need to look for?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2016, 11:33:12 AM »
My search button works! It found this conversation. I am also thinking about stacking t-cases in my 4cyl 82 truck. I have the opportunity to buy a t-case from an 88 V6 4runner. It is a top shift according to your description. Being that it is coming from a V6 would It be a 23 spline also? My questions are, would I be able to use it in my 82? What do I need to look for?

any t case that you use must be from a 4cyl. v6 t case wont work,

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2016, 11:36:21 AM »
as far as the 23 spline goes, there are 3 ways, you could hunt for a t case out of a 4cyl turbo, or purchase 23 t case input, or... when swapping to 4.7 gears for rear t case, buy the 23 spline kit

immi.jfreeman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2016, 01:03:31 PM »
Thanks

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2016, 02:07:56 AM »
A top shift donor case isn't required for the crawl box. There are many conversion threads to convert your forward shift donor case to a top shift.
I bought a short throw kit for my W56 with joined base plate and don't plan on converting it to top shift, just need to weld the hi/low fork..

I bought my donor case today for my dual case setup. $75 isn't that bad, right?  :booya:  :fakeflip: I'm planning on the dual ultimate. 2.28 crawl box with 4.7 rear case.

I'm going to have to rebuild this case anyways, so I'm planning on a forward shift twin stick.

Here's a pic I found of what I'd like to do:

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!