Author Topic: treadwright?  (Read 2580 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: treadwright?
« on: Feb 04, 2012, 12:26:49 PM »
Not trying to debate here but just wanted put a positive post here since when people google treadwright they will see mostly comments from people who have a stigma with retreads and are scaired to even try them...  That's OK, we all have our own opinion and some people won't and probably don't need to run these tires. It's perfectly allright to hate retreads, pigs, goats, coffee or whatever you like.  I personally hate "american cheese".  I think it's just nasty and no replacement at all for decent cheddar.  My point is it's OK if you guys don't like the idea of these tires, I'm just trying to post up my personal experiences so far.

I am running these on my work truck I use to reach remote properties for my real estate appraisal business in rural north central Montana.  I run the 31x10.50 Gruard dog mud tread without the kedge grip additive.  I chose this tire because I needed at least a 31" tire, I had some stock 15" SR5 wheels, and it is a good all around tread design for any kind of terrain.  I went without the kedge because I put ALOT of miles on this truck year round and the staff at Treadwright said it does effect treadlife, maybe by 20% They are on BFG all terrain carcasses.  Road use is about 60% highway and 40% dirt farm roads and chunky loose gravel. Off road is lots of rocks, snow, mud dirt and stumps in cut over areas where I haul alot of firewood with the truck. I continually air these up and down and I have purposely tried to abuse them for the sake of an unbiased review which I am prepairing for a 4WD magazine.

At the time of this post I have about 25,000 miles of mixed on and off road use with lots of weekend wheeling mixed in.  The tread tepth is about 50%, maybe a little more, say 55%.  Snow and ice traction is still top notch at this stage.  I've found the tread compound to be extremely resistant to chunking out, tearing and other stuff we expect when messing around off road.  So far I have had no defects of any kind, no blowouts, separations, failures and the tires still even balance pretty well.  I and still alive and well after 25,000 miles. :)

Second hand data from some farmer budddies:  I know many farmers out here who run these tires because they tend to be more resistant to tread face rock punctures that they have with most decent tires. The local alternatives in our county are coopers, maxxis, yokohamas and toyos, all of which I have heard fail under these conditions. These are the tires these guys are compaing them too, all good stuff.  We go 55-65 out here on our chunky gravel farm road "highways".  I guess the added rubber puts a little more meat between the gravel and the carcass and for come reason is not as proned to puncture under those conditions because of the tread compound.  These farmers typically go through 2 sets of shocks a year, mess up brake rotors on newer truck from the constant spray of gravel.  These conditions sound lame compared to wheeling but they are really tough on tires.  These guys are using them because the Treadwrights perform better in these conditions and are in their eyes safer than a new tire since the have less failures out in the "field". Farmers out here can afford to pay for the best, they don't need to save a buck and they choose Treadwright based on experience.

Overall what I'm trying to say is if you don't want to run them, OK, but don't diss them too much either if you haven't tried them yourself.  

To be fair and unbiased if I have ANY problems with these for the remainder of the time I run them, I will post it up for all to see.

:beer:
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2012, 06:56:40 AM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K