Author Topic: synthetic oils?  (Read 11573 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: synthetic oils?
« on: Mar 28, 2005, 03:32:29 PM »
Question for BigMIke: What data/experience do you have with AMSoil to prove that it is the best? I don't disagree that it might be the best, but I am just curious why you feel so strongly about it.

My claim is pretty one minded and heres why. About 2 years ago I was at a Denny's cramming for a test and these guys behind me had a hardcore discusion about chemistry/oil formulas and what not. I was listening in and I think they must have noticed me as the one guy nearest introducted himself and asked what I was studying. I told him what my major was and he was curious to see how much I knew about engines. After quizzing me about oils and lubrications he said that I was a good kid and he gave me his card and told me to meet him the next day.

It turns out that these two guys are on a leading oil research team who helped design oils for NASA and others. They are working on an oil that when it combusts it molecularly turns into some kind of detergent rather then a contamanent and it will also lower emissions by consuming unburned particulates; like I said crazy chemistry talk of which I only understood about 20% :yupyup:

So as for my one sided mind, to be perfectly honest, I've never even used Amsoil, but both of these guys swear by it, were distributing it, gave me a bunch of fliers, yadda yadda yadda. They told me that Amsoil is the inventor of Synthetic oil, like back in the 60's.

I asked them how they felt about the other "over the counter" oils and he drew me a graph of his experience with testing oils. He told me that the order he would use syn oil is as follows: 100% is Amsoil, 80% is Pennzoil, and then wwaayy down at like 40% he recommended Vavoline, then Castrol, and even further down like 10% he recommended Mobil One.

And that is strange because so many manufactures use Mobil One, like Mercedes, so I'm sure they have their own researchers, but maybe Mobil One has gotten better in the last couple of years because both of these guys HATE mobil one and they said its all a bunch of market hype. :dunno:

About Blended oils, the guys told me to avoid them. Also they said to avoid MULTIWEIGHTS. But everyone uses multiweights ?? The guys told me that multiweight, like 10w-30 foam and do not last nearly as long as a single weight, like a straight 30. Also, my friend does Circle track racing and he told me that every car only uses single weight oils. I don't know any politics behind that but its another thing to look into I guess..

Anyways, yesterday I was at autozone, and I needed to change my oil, so I just went with some Synthetic oil despite my rear leaking main seal. I got some Pennzoil Syn Oil. I got the new Platinum oil and went with a 10w-30. I'll let you know if my leak gets worse. :crossed:

Later
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki