Author Topic: Project Never Easy  (Read 74344 times)

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Peterbuilt84's 84
« Reply #180 on: Dec 26, 2011, 09:12:50 PM »
Finally got my fror tacoma brake kit and ifs hubs on. Here's a little how to on what I did.

The beginning is just basic tear down of a toyota axle.

Remove the outer hub dial

Remove the birf snap ring. I used pliers like these, highly recommend them.

Then take off the cone washers. I thread the nut to the end of the stud until it's flush, then use a "punch" to knock them loose. Hasn't failed me yet.

Take the hub body off next.

Then slide the hub off leaving the spindle.

Next install the brake mount provided in the kit. In the pic I left the dust shield on (even installed it that way) but you're supposed to leave it off

Installed.

Here are the ifs hubs. The OD needs to be machined down so the rotor can slip over. I didn't notice it at first, but the hubs I ended up getting were different. One was solid all the way around and the other had gaps in between the lugs. I don't think it makes a difference other than appearance.

I knocked out the races from my solid axle hubs and then reinstalled them on the ifs hubs. Make sure to use a brass drift when installing them.

Put in the inner bearing and install the seal, I was able to reuse since I had just put it on my other hubs.

Slide on the hub and install the outer wheel bearing. In the pic I don't have the dust shield on, it can be ran with or without it.

Set up the proper preload on the wheel bearings. I followed the fsm method of using a pull scale to measure drag and adjusting torque on bearing as needed. Then install the lock ring and outer nut.

Reinstall hub body and put the snap ring back on. I put anti-sieze on the cone washers too so they won't be hard to take off next time.

Then put on the outer dial and you're done  :biggthumpup:

Here's a pic that shows the spacing of the ifs hub from the knuckle.

I ended up needing to get new wheel studs as well since with the rotor and wheel the stock ones aren't long enough.

EDIT: Used Dorman 610-192. Also needed new lugnuts since they are standard thread.

Hope this helps answer some questions others have about the swap. Overall it was pretty easy, no more difficult than rebuilding an axle. It took me a few days just because when I started I didn't have all the parts and I was busy with other things. I still have to put my front locker in, but it should be a breeze with the new setup :woohoo:
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2012, 10:27:56 PM by Peterbuilt84 »