Author Topic: Looking at buying a 92 Ext Cab Pickup Crawler  (Read 3177 times)

Seeds

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
Re: Looking at buying a 92 Ext Cab Pickup Crawler
« on: Nov 09, 2011, 07:24:47 PM »
depends.  you need to buy the axle and the kit.
Kits can be had for around 1200-1500...I suggest buying a kit unless you are good at fabbing and welding.
Axles range depending on what you want..stock toys 85 and before can be found for 300-500
If you cant weld or dont have a welder, add a welder or the labor to your list. probably around 500-1000 for either option.

Materials for front only 1500 roughly

However there are many hidden costs for example...Your front drive shaft will not work, you will need to buy another. after installing a long spline shaft you will notice your driveshaft angle will be somewhat "steep". Nothing really to do about that but get dual cases :) tires and rims, the back will need to be lifted to match the front. Now you need to mod your rear driveshaft, and your emergency brake cable.

You will be into it about 3k or more when it is all said and done to do it right. (not including tires) There are ways to do it cheaper, but it mostly consists of building many of the components yourself and using "junk yard" parts. You will be doing all your own measurements and fabbing (which means you are buying your own steel and tools to work it with) if you go that route. There is no real way to get out cheap.

If you want my opinion, buy a 4x4 extra cab tacoma or a 4runner (depends on your preference) with a TRD package and e-locker either the 3.4L 6cyl or the 2.7L 4cyl. Just be patient, they come up every so often on craigs or autotrader. Learn to drive it offroad, you will be surprised at what you can do stock with it and what you learn. Put some good armor on it to protect the sheet metal. technique is the name of the game, not parts. There is so much to learn from choosing lines to clutch control to gear choices and how suspensions react. That is the better way to go. I've seen people do it both ways and all the latter gets you into is the attitude that "if I spend more money I would've been able to make it to the top". the more you are around the sport you will see both types, those who just throw money at it and those who learn to drive it.
Romans 12:2