Author Topic: Chiyo-chan, our 1980 4x4, is back! -- Some Cosmetic Improvements Only  (Read 35486 times)

zembalayan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 254
  • Male Posts: 486
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
Chiyo is looking great Bill! I also wasn't expecting that much rake. I'd also suspect the fronts to settle more than the rears, beings the weight is up there and it all shifts forward under braking. Sorry for having to ask this, but are you still running the stock shackles F&R?
Thanks, guys!

Mike, I am still using the stock shackles in the front and rear.  The shackle angle up front is right on, you might even say a bit relaxed; the rear shackle angle is a bit steep, but from everything I have read about OME springs, I expect some settling to occur after I have logged 300 miles and definitely after harder trail use.   Maybe she needs to do a Rubithon workout!    And, if I were to pack like my normal self, I would load Chiyo-chan up to her gills with spare parts, tools and supplies.  I am glad that I got the HD OMEs, and eventhough, I have heard great things about the new (Indonesian -made??) Emu Dakar springs, I am stoked that I scored this set of Aussie made OMEs. 

Like you said Mike, the front especially should settle more with all the weight.

Love the ride.  I can't be sure, but I think I was the first person to change her shocks since she was born 32 years ago.  The ride, braking, everything seems better!

I am really eager to take her out, and I am still thinking about a trip to one of the many several trails in Stanislaus forest next weekend.  Anyone up for that?