Author Topic: Toyota ref  (Read 3161 times)

dntsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
    • My 3.4 swap into a 92 pickup
Re: Toyota ref
« on: Jun 23, 2011, 08:37:51 AM »
Agree 100% with Mike. Its a joke that I took my POS inefficient, gas guzzling, dirty 92 3.0 motor out and installed a much more efficient 3.4 motor and was failed because the exhaust was ran down the wrong side of the vehicle. Why that matters to the final smog total I have no idea.

Saying that, I do not think that the smog ref is going to look for one second at any of your lights, or other safety equipment on your vehicle. They didnt at mine. My E brake doesnt work and one of my taillights were out all FIVE time I went to a ref and they never said anything. I think in fact, one time I took it the front end was still stripped off including the headlights, front signals, etc. Maybe they are all different........not sure. Pretty sure Mike and I would have went to the same guy over by the fire academy out past 99 and 41.

I does have to be registered and insured though but most importantly is that NOTHING can be altered from its original form. When I had to move my Cat to the passenger side, it is a TIGHT fit because of the transfer case. I asked if I could cut the welds, rotate the CAT about 25 degrees, and reweld. Keep in mind this did NOT move the Cat forwards or backwards one inch. I was told this would be considered modifying the CAT and therefore would render the CAT useless for a legal swap. I had to squeeze it in.

Make sure your gas cap is good and provides a tight seal, I also failed for that but they let me run to NAPA and grab a new one. Then I passed.

The guy in Fresno is cool but thorough, but he follows the rules EXACTLY.......doesn't make them so I can't blame him.

Have all the paperwork, numbers, etc. ready for both the donor and your vehicle and hand it to the guy. You only get a 45 minute block whether they finish or not. I had to go back three times during my first round because they spent so much time taking out the ECM, looking up VIN numbers etc. You may save a trip by having everything ready in advance.
92 Toyota x-cab, 3.4 swapped, R150 5 speed, 2.8/4.7 SAS
My 3.4 swap http://www.yotatech.com/f160/had-officially-began-3-0-auto-3-4-manual-92-ex-cab-196823/