Author Topic: Toyota ref  (Read 3160 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: Toyota ref
« on: Jun 23, 2011, 08:22:28 AM »
what exactly are you swapping from and what is your vehicle?
X2

Some places also require an emergency brake (which my MR2 doesn't have) and may fail you if you don't have one.

I've passed 5 engine swaps at the ref, and from my experience I recommend you get everything to look as if it was installed that way by Toyota. Take extra time to use wiring loom, heat shrink every solder connection, make sure there are no emission hoses or wires hanging too close to your exhaust system, make sure the air box is securely mounted, etc...

One extremely annoying law is that everything between the first electrical device (usually a temp sensor or AFM) and your throttle body must be completely stock, and the same with everything between your exhaust manifold and the last electrical device in your exhaust (usually your second O2 sensor, if applicable) must be completely stock.

When I did my 3RZ, I couldn't possibly fit it's original T100 air box under the hood. So I did a really nice job installing a cone filter to my AFM, and securely mounted it using nice aluminum brackets. It looked really clean and nice but they failed me because the air temp sensor mounts to T100 air box, so therefore I was required to use the huge T100 air box (I just took the truck in without a hood and had the huge box sticking out of the engine compartment and it passed because hoods are not required ::)).

Additionally, the 3RZ runs the catalytic converter on the passenger's side of the vehicle, but my Hilux has the cat on the driver's side. So I routed my exhaust to position the cat in the stock Hilux location, which for some crazy reason they accepted for me, but they did not accept this for Marlin's and Bevin's 3RZ conversion because the cat is before the 2nd O2 sensor and therefore it must be in the original T100/Tacoma location.

:soapbox: I firmly believe the smog program is a huge joke in California. It is just for law makers to get off on their power trips and raise money through more hidden taxes. Why we have to jump through so many hoops to replace a polluting carbureted engine with a modern EFI engine just blows my freak'n mind!! If this was TRULY a SMOG program, then they should just do a SMOG INSPECTION. :rant:

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki