Author Topic: how to get around backtags?  (Read 5160 times)

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: how to get around backtags?
« on: Jun 07, 2011, 05:36:23 PM »
I think you need to read the new laws on back fees.

I meant to say you are not charged for every year, only a maximum of 3 times what the first years registration fees were that were not paid. This was in in response to comment made by abnormaltoy about about buying a 32 Ford that hadn't been registered since WWII.  The 3 yrs maximum is also what the DMV clerk told me the first of May when I registered an '84 that hadn't had tags since '05.  The DMV site states 160% for registration and weight fees for the first year registration was due and not paid, so likely like most gov workers she didn't know what she was talking about and just said something that sounded right.  For the '84 I just registered I was charged $215, $75 for this year, and $140 in back fees.  Using the 160% would put the original fees for '05 at $88 for registration and weight fees alone, which seems a bit high for the time.

Sure you can take the risk but if you get a ticket for it being on the street (if your are lucky and they don't take it away) it will show up in the records and they will be able to charge you penalties for having it on the street. The safe bet is to get the moving permit

From what abriel68 posted, one would assume he already had possession of the truck, therefore getting a one day moving permit from the DMV wasn't needed.  All he has to tell the DMV if asked, is that he towed it home on a trailer, and not on a tow dolly, or that he flat towed.
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2011, 01:12:33 AM by Snowtoy »
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod