Author Topic: how to get around backtags?  (Read 5180 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: how to get around backtags?
« on: Jun 06, 2011, 11:28:12 PM »
You are charged fees for every year since the last registration was paid, only a maximum of 3times the amount of the first registration not paid, i.e., if say $70 was the amount owed in 2000, you could only be charged a maximum $210+change of ownership+non-op or current fees do.

I think you need to read the new laws on back fees.

You also don't need to bother getting a 1 day moving permit, if asked tell them you towed it home on a trailer, not a tow dolly, they get pissy if the wheels of an unregistered vehicle touches the pavement.

Sure you can take the risk but if you get a ticket for it being on the street (if your are lucky and they don't take it away) it will show up in the records and they will be able to charge you penalties for having it on the street. The safe bet is to get the moving permit.

An inspection may or may not be needed, the plate for my '91 had been surrendered, and all I had to do to was buy new plates, no CHP inspection necessary.  If you do have to have it inspected, just have your brother do it for you, if he can/is willing to.

It is somewhat of a strange deal with having to get a brake and light inspection or VIN verification, I don't know all the rules there but if you need them you can get the brake and light inspection there are authorized centers just like smogging you can go to. As to the VIN verification those are usually done by either the CHP or the DMV and which one you need to go to depends on the year of the car. Some years are done by one and other years by the other, kinda odd but that's what they do. If you have to do a VIN verification call before you go or you may go to the wrong one.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you