Author Topic: 3RZ 1985 Aussie 4Runner  (Read 16055 times)

4CRSHNU

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
As always long time between updates.

I can't really remember all things I have completed in the last few months but here are the jobs that I have taken pictures of so far.

Here is a pic of the gear levers in the cab, I will work on making it a bit neater in the future.

Last year I ordered a dual case cross member from Sky $240US and $250US for postage to Australia. I got the idea for this crossmember from zippo's build, thanks zippo.
I ordered this brand as it was in 3 parts and allowed me to tuck the drive line up 25mm to match the body lift(I had to remove this feature later due to the double carden joint in the rear tail shaft hitting the chassis cross-member). This thing is heavy and should protect the cases from external damage.

I then upgraded the front brakes and booster/master cylinder to 2005 Hilux Spec. I used DBA slotted rotors which are the same diameter as the originals except thicker as the standard were solid rotors not vented. Fitted with Bendix 4WD pads. Combined with the rebuilding of the rear brakes when I first got the car the brakes have a real good feel to them now, much better then the previous setup.

My biggest fan.

At this point I rebuilt the rear diff as when I went to change the pinion flange to suit the new drive shaft there was a heap of play at the flange. Stripped down the centre to find the carrier bearings were also completely worn. I had never rebuilt a diff before and had to buy a few tools 2 torque wenches, dial gauge with magnetic base and a hydraulic press, also did heaps of reading of ZUK's page, thanks ZUK. As it was just getting rebuilt I refitted the same pinion shim but I used a solid spacer instead of a collapsible spacer. The solid spacer took ages to set up right. I do have an air locker to fit and also a high pinion landcruiser centre to fit to the front axle, these will both be completed after its registered.

I did make a sweet jig to hold the diff of the bench but didn't take any photos of it.

New pinion races installed.

Pinion installed.

Ready to reinstall.

Press.

Next to do was to rotate the rear axle to eliminate drive-shaft noise as I was running a CV or Double Carden joint in the rear shaft due to it being a lot shorter then the stock version.
This involved grinding the old perches off and then rotating the housing and welding the new perches on.

With the help of a mate we made up some bumpstops for the front and rear axles. The rubber bump stops were ordered from Low Range Offroad.

I have also installed a Red Top Optima battery with TG battery cage. The front seats are currently getting reupholstered with new springs and fabric, this was the easier option then aftermarket as it retains the 2 door seat go forward lever thing.

Next week the 4Runner is going on a truck to Sydney to get Engineered and any problems the engineer finds fixed. Hopefully around the start of July I will be able to go to Sydney and drive the 4Runner back with all legal modifications.

Hopefully some wheeling pics will be coming soon.

Matt
85 4Runner with 3RZ Inside