Author Topic: $2000 4.3 Swap Instructions  (Read 23558 times)

CapitaCrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
Re: $2000 4.3 Swap Instructions
« on: May 15, 2011, 12:23:12 PM »
Well I got my flywheel in and I doubt I need to take a picture of it because its just a flywheel.  The rest of my parts should be in by tues.  I got the eng removed from the runner and got the bell housing off the trans.  When pulling the eng it started to roll and swing a bit so make sure you support the trans with an axle jack and some wood between the jack and the trans.  Also when pulling out the eng make sure it dosent swing too much or youll bend and damage the input shaft.  (advice from a friend) Before I yanked the eng out I disconnected the computer and pulled the harness thru the firewall and layed it across the eng.  I disconnected everything that was attaching the eng to the compartment.  There are a few bolts connecting the bellhousing to the eng.  There are two 17mm bolts on top of the housing at 1 oclock and 11 oclock if looking aft from the eng bay.  There are two 17mm on the bottom of the housing at about 5 and 7 also looking aft.  Theres a stiffener plate on both sides inwhich I removed two 14mm bolts from the housing.  You can remove the two on the block but that needed to go anyway with the eng.  I removed the slave cylinder from the housing but did not disconnect the fluid line.  Behind the slave cylinder there is another 17mm bolt.  Took me a bit it find that some beach.  On the drivers side I removed the two bolts attaching the  exhaust plate to the bell housing.  These are also 12mm.  Lucky for me who ever installed this exhaust failed to put the 3 nuts on the studs holding the exhaust pipe to the manifold. Once you have all 7 17mm bolts out and 2 12mm and all attaching pieces from eng to eng bay and trans rip that sucker out.  Once eng is out I pulled the bell housing off which is 9 14mm bolts.  There is one hidden behind the throw out bearing lever.  From there im going to clean the eng bay and get some other items removed like the charcoal canister, stock fuel lines (I already have an external EFI pump mounted to the frame rail with 3/8" high pressure fuel line running into the eng bay), coil pack, injector resistor on the passenger side, and everything else to clean it up. The next few days I will be labeling the donor vehicles electronic lines and hoses and what not.  I have a labeler which will come in handy.  I would suggest it over masking tape and sharpie but as long as its all marked you should be good to go.  Pulling the new 4.3 will be a challenge.  But this whole operation should be for me anyway. 
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" -Dr. HST