Author Topic: timing chain noise......maybe  (Read 2706 times)

jmac

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Re: timing chain noise......maybe
« on: Apr 27, 2011, 12:37:49 PM »
I think I figured it out ........finally.  I think the tranny oil/grease was low.

I knew I had a leak that was either rear main or tranny input seal due to leaking at tranny/engine junction, but had thought it was rear main based on the oil from the drip.  Guess it was thicker than I thought.  My tranny plug was stuck in the housing pretty good and the head had been rolled pretty bad.  This is totally my fault, as I obviously overtightened during a rebuild 4+ years ago.  Had have been neglecting getting it loose as I'm a firm believer in never changing tranny grease, but last night I got it out and ran a hose in there and it's pretty low.

I need to get some more grease and a plug.  I'll confirm in a few days when I get around to filling it and putting a new plug in.

So based on this I got another question.  I rebuilt the tranny when it was in an 89, wrecked that bad boy, bought a 81, and swapped the w56 from the 89 into the 81.  I remember having a hell of a time getting the input shaft into the pilot bearing.  It was super tight and had to pull it up with the housing bolts even after getting it in the bearing.  Obviously, the input is under some stress due to alignment error.  Would this cause early failure in seal?  Does everyone have a bear of time getting the w56s into the older 22r?  Is there something that will help with this.....I can't think of anything?

Just curious that dudes gonna leak a bit longer I don't feel like pulling right now as I just did a bunch of work on some other issues I had been having with brakes, clutch, carb, and wiring.