Author Topic: 7MGE swap notes and pics  (Read 16413 times)

corax

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 39
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Re: 7MGE swap notes and pics
« on: Apr 11, 2011, 10:46:48 AM »
- wire harness – I junkyarded mine for $30 and made sure to be careful pulling it out – don’t break connectors pulling them off, don’t pull on wires and when you get to the big connectors that connect the engine harness to the rest of the vehicle (behind dash) leave yourself ~1’ of wire and take both sides of the connector (male and female side – it makes wiring everything together easier)
- ECU – I was able to mount everything in the stock location down in the passenger side kick panel using the 22RE ECU brackets - it's a tight fit, but works nice if you keep wire length to manageable lengths and tuck them up and behind the ECU

- Vane Airflow Meter to match your engine (smog will want everything to be the same year or newer as your vehicle, but they really have no visual way of checking)
- igniter and ignition coil - I moved the ignition coil to the passenger side so I could use a shorter coil wire

- Injector Resistor (leave this connected to the harness when you get it at the junkyard)

- use the factory throttle cable and fab a simple cable holder –or- use the factory Supra cables, setup and linkages

- factory 22RE fuel pump works fine, no upgrade needed, fuel filter will be factory mounted to the 7MGE block on driver side – need to bend fuel lines to run gas from the passenger side to driver side

- the 7M mechanical fan can not be used, so an electric fan is in order.  I looked for a thin electric fan and found that you can get one with decent CFM under 3" thick.  I wired an electric thermo switch and an extra sensor to warn of possible overheating (220* puts the gauge about 3/4 of the way to the red) - the threads are 3/8" NPT - the 3 hole t-stat housing was sourced from a 7MGTE (turbo) and had the 220* sensor already in it

- I was able to reuse the 22RE P/S pump by moving the reservoir down on the inner fender a bit and having the 7M pulley center bore machined to .710" and hand filing a keyway (7M uses a ribbed belt) - further the 7M A/C bracket needs to be cut up a bit and a simple bracket fabbed up to adapt the pump to the A/C bracket, I also made a nother bracket to brace the pump in an attempt to reduce vibration and bracket flex under belt tension

'88 4runner SR5 - 3L 7MGE swap - Marlin HD W56 - 4.88 LSD and e-locker - 33x10.5 KM2's
Garage Thread