Author Topic: dual case install/assembly  (Read 2464 times)

TURNER

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 38
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Re: dual case install/assembly
« on: Mar 13, 2005, 07:13:01 AM »
Hey turner-

Sorry I never saw this post earlier.

So did you get the MC09 adapter and the front 27-4GT adapter with a 27-23 spline coupler and you are planning on keeping your chain drive drivers-side-front-output transfercase since youve still got the IFS, is this correct?

If so its very basic. You need to find a donor 1979-1995 style gear drive transfercase, specifically one that is top shifting, which would be from either 1979-1983 carb or from 1985-1988 EFI non-turbo. In your situation it doesnt matter if you get the carb top shifting case or the efi top shifting case..

You will disassemble this donor t/case and separate the low range parts from the rest of the transfercase.
- Front Reduction Housing
- Drivers side shift fork and rod
- Shift Collar (Hub)
- Cage bearing for the low speed gear
- Pilot bearing for the input gear
- 0.25" detent ball and thrust washer from the stock main shaft
- 6mm hex screw, spring, and 0.50" detent ball for the shifter (from the top)
- Both c-slips from the input and counter shaft bearings
- Both snap rings from the input and counter shaft bearings

hmmmm......... :headscratch: I think that's all the parts you need to build your first case. Then just follow the instructions on how to clearance the housing and shift fork for the 4.70:1 gear set, install the new gears in the same way the old 2.28:1 gears were installed. Make sure you grease both the pilot and the cage bearing. The MC09 adapter will already have the Double Roller bearing and the idler gear cage bearing already pressed and installed so you do not have to worry about them. Also the 4.70:1 gear set already has the bearings installed, you just need to transfer the smaller c-clips from your old gear input and counter onto the new 4.70:1 input and counter.

I should add that before you begin to assembly the reduction housing, take a file to both sides of it to make sure it will seal properly against both adapters when you finish it up and install the adapters using some Toyota Black or Super Gray silicone.

I dont know what Ive left out or what instructions you are specifically looking for, so please reply back and let me know where you are at.

Thanks in advance
BigMike

hey thanks for the reply mike, i am keeping the IFS, i already have the donor case (out of an 85 EFI, top shift) my gears and MC09 are in the mail (tranny adapter still on backorder) you totally answered my ???'s about the assembly, like i said before i was just tryin to figure out what steps of the complete 4.7 install did not apply to my project since i wasnt putting the case back together, again thanks for your help, once i get my gears and MC09 and really start doin all this, ill check with you guys if i have anymore ??'s

turner
Turner

"Ms. Piggy" 92 FJ80, 255k