Author Topic: I need some help  (Read 2044 times)

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: I need some help
« on: Dec 01, 2010, 05:02:38 PM »
If this is your first 4x4, basically leave it as it is.  While you can buy/build a rig to conquer the hardest trails with ease, you can't buy trail experience, and you have a lot to learn.  Wheeling a stock rig is the best way to learn how to wheel, the skills you learn now such as how to read the trail, picking the right line, vehicle recovery, stacking rocks to gain traction etc., will be far more valuable in the long run, than any traction device, tire size etc., ever will be, and it will make you a much better driver.

I would start with the basics;
Recovery gear: a recovery strap(not tow strap or chain), gloves, shovel, basic set of hand tools, 2 ton come-a-along and tree saver(a small tow strap would also work), a high lift jack, and adding

Recovery Points front and rear:  Tow hooks on the front and rear, or d-rings.  The factory tow hook up front will work, but the oem rear bumper isn't strong enough.  If you have a drop hitch receiver, you can buy a tow hook or d-ring that slides in and bolts up, or you can make your own. 

Body armor: Rock sliders, solid front and rear bumpers.  The bumpers could wait, but the sliders shouldn't, you want to protect your rocker panels.

After that find someone similarly set-up(never wheel alone) and go do some wheeling.  Once you can run the trails within your rigs capabilities with ease, and are starting to run harder trails then add 33's, dual cases, or maybe a rear locker, and start all over again.  I have friends that went all out with their first rig, never learned the basics and after years of wheeling, they still can't pick the right line, or figure out how to get out of a tough situation, other than power down, which usually ends up breaking something.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod