Author Topic: 2010/2011 Hunting stories and pics  (Read 41206 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: 2010/2011 Hunting stories and pics
« Reply #60 on: Oct 24, 2010, 07:59:10 PM »
So again my season is a bust.  Saw several deer yesterday but they were all does and fawns.  Headed for a couple roads I wanted to hit this morning but the gates were closed, so I decided to hike up behind one.  About 15 minutes from the truck I saw movement in the trees down the hill, but just as I started to turn to look through the scope a flock of pigeons right behind me took off and spooked him off.  I say him because he ran stiff legged, stiff neck cocked back holding his head high.  Buck.

It was wet, too wet!  My supposed waterproof jacket leaks like a seive, as do my aging waterproof boots.  Decided to stick to dirt roads unless the rain let up, but not before I saw another doe.  Rain let up and the sky started to clear a bit so I followed a hunch and hit a remote gated road.  Also decided to play a hunch that I'm wasting way too much time by walking super slow, so I walked a normal to quick pace and was able to cover way more ground.  Turns out it works pretty well cause I must have pushed a doe up through the cut, then caught her when walking above. 

Kept going a ways down the road to the next cut and saw some movement.  Wind was pushing pretty hard and swirling from different directions, so I'm pretty sure they smelled me but had no idea where I was.  Watched 2 does and a fawn work up to the road, followed them around the corner then noticed the nearby hills were socked in with rain already, storm had pushed in more rain super fast.  Turned around and started jogging back to the truck - didn't want to be soaked to the bone for the 3rd time in 2 days - and noticed something else in the cut, another doe.  Watched here spook off and saw she had 2 little fawns. 

On the way back through the lewiston area I saw 19 townie deer, only one being a small buck.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!