Author Topic: Did I ruin my master cylinder?  (Read 3905 times)

IVrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 23
  • Male Posts: 352
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Did I ruin my master cylinder?
« on: Oct 06, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
I am still at a loss with this.  I have bled the system multiple times using multiple methods and I am still left with brake pedal that goes to the floor.   :maddest:

I have checked the booster by creating pressure and then starting and also by pulling the vacuum hose after shutting off.  Both of which resulted in a good booster. 

I have also checked the master by buying a piece of 8" hard brake line, cutting in half, crimping each end and attaching to the master cylinder in place of the lines to the front and rear.  With the line closed off I pushed the brakes and they were as hard as a rock, so this means my plunger and all the internals are OK.

I have bled the system the following ways with the same result:
- bled at each wheel using both a vacuum pump and a helper pumping in the cab
- bled running, not running but ignition on, and not on at all
- bled in different sequence: furthest to closest, closest to furthest

The vacuum pump method seemed to pull out air the whole time no matter how many times I did it.  The only thing I could think of is that it was creating air as it was pulling the fluid out, but not sure. ???

The pedal pump method seemed to squirt out fluid only at each wheel, but what was weird is that it seemed to have less and less pressure each time.  Same thing once you moved to the next wheel.  One part that made this difficult is that the pedal goes to the floor as you pump it, so by the time you crack the bleeder it barely has room to go down.

I really have no idea what to do next besides checking every fitting.  A friend has said that I could gravity bleed it, so I might try this as well. I'll try anything at this point cause i'm stumped. :bowdown:
~Josh
-87 4Runner SR5 - SAS, 4.88's, 33 KM2s, Lockright front, elocker rear, frenched hangers, TG in front, 63’s in rear (DD)
-2010 4runner Trail (wife DD)
-2000 4runner 4WD manual Highlander -SOLD:(
-1986 Toyota pickup SAS on 35s -SOLD
-1985 4runner (first car) -SOLD