Author Topic: 82 Toy in AK  (Read 1036 times)

6l psd

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Re: 82 Toy in AK
« on: Jul 25, 2010, 07:22:06 PM »
Thanks for the Welcomes!  I had to play this weekend...just couldn't wait. Marlin was out of the front knuckle rebuild kits, so I went hunting. I'm sure most of you probably know this, but those kits are worth the wait!  I didn't, and all I came home with was bearings and wheel seal.  The knuckle seal kit is on order at the dealer...this week hopefully.  I got into the pax side, and the seals have been gone for a while by the looks of the amount of hardened goo all over everything.  Two cans of engine cleaner and a half can of aerokroil and I had it down to the spindle.  Replaced the bearings while in there, should make the knuckle rebuild a bit faster.  They seemed fine, but there was no grease left in there...just nasty gear "oil." I could feel a bit of slop in the birfield...don't know if that's normal, but there can't be much grease left in there either. The driver's side doesn't appear to be much better from the outside, but I learned from the first side and already hit it with the power washer!  Now just waiting on parts, and hoping it all shows up.  I now see why Marlin touts the brake upgrade...I'd never seen solid brake rotors before, except on a go-cart!