Author Topic: 84 4Runner Buildup - Last minute summer mods  (Read 308032 times)

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
Finally got some work done on the 4Runner.

If you remember, this is what my driver's side quarterpanel looked like with the 4Runner tailgate.

And what it looked like after converting to a truck tailgate

After quite a bit of welding, grinding, and laying my first body filler - here's what it looks like now

It still needs more sanding and some primer but it felt good to make it look somewhat better than it did before.

Also worked on the front bumper.  After adding a winch, the front receiver hitch is blocked by the roller fairlead.  I cut the Trail Gear winch mount reciever out and added a new piece of 2.5" x 2.5" under it.  I now can use both the roller fairlead & front reciever hitch at the same time!

With the winch installed

Installed the winch Monday night and realized that warn doesn't supply the M8000 with a solenoid bracket to mount the solenoid control box to the winch  :roll:

I had to cut off the forward facing light tabs to install the winch.  I also had to cut down and pound out one of my front rock light tabs.

Here's the Warn bracket for $12

Here's mine for free (minus about half an hour of labor)

What it will look like installed.  Still needs painted.

Also worked on the rear bumper on Monday.  I decided to cut out the rear crossmember that I had tacked into place 4 years ago.  I didn't feel it was beefy enough to mount a rear bumper to since it was only 1/8" thick 2" x 3" tubing.  The rear tailgate support is now welded to that crossmember.

Tailgate supports welded back onto the 1/4" thick 2" x 3" rear crossmember.  I used some 1/4" plate as spacers after having to cut & grind them off of the old crossmember.

Ready for a rear bumper

Rear crossmember isn't coming out any time soon  :D

Adding some 2" x 2" .120 wall supports towards the middle of the crossmember to an existing crossmember.  Should help with the heavy pulls from the planned middle reciever hitch in the rear bumper

Adding some corner gussets as well to help with those heavy tugs

Starting the tube work for the rear tube bumper.  Took my dad & I quite awhile to figure out the bender to get these 2 pieces bent.  Hopefully the rest will go faster.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!